Carlock moves to Grestch

sjj123

Re: Carlock moves to Grestch

Postby sjj123 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:24 am

:arrow: Perfectly aware of his antics here........that is a friggin nice sounding kit tho' diggin the Meinls as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixUXnAMksvc&list=UU-g2PhDGnFibudkgkWhZj3w&index=1&feature=plcp
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:32 am

"There's a perfect drum sound in your head, and for me, it's always been Gretsch." - Yet, you've always played other drums.

It's kinda pathetic to watch someone throw away their morals for... apparently free, but whatever must make it worth it for Mike.

Those drums don't even sound that good. Dead and processed.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:20 pm

The 10" tom sounded pretty good. The rest? meh. I always thought his DW snare sounded better. Could take him a little while to learn the individual drums. I agree with Josiah about the morals thing. I was just watching a recent video of his where he was praising his DW's. Im sure this switch didnt happen overnight, so it does bother be about the BS rhetoric. It is worth mentioning, that between Vinnie "leaving" and Carlock and this guy switching, my interest is piqued about Grestch, hahaha.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:15 pm

I'd love to hear one of these guys just tell the truth..

"So in So pissed me off"... and or.. "These guys gave me a better deal..or listen to me more.."
Pro sports people do it..

Drums do sound different. but in each top end drum line you can easily find a sound that matches another.. Or if they really care about you.. they'll just make you what you want..

An as far as the Mike Johnston trolls.. I think that either he has a little cult of trained monkeys, or he does it himself..
Any opportunity to promote yourself is a good thing.. if that's your bag...
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 am

I'm w/ you on your last post Chris....the truth would be nice
....Hope I was not construed as one of the MJ "Trolls" you spoke of. I've been a member here since day one and am the furthest thing from that. I just thought it was a beautiful and cool sounding kit despite him being a horses ass...
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:06 am

Joe Nocella

Postby Joe Nocella » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:41 pm

HA! HA! HA! Perfect timing for that video. It's so fucking painful to watch. Someone give that man a damn script. Even Thomas seems disgusted by the sheer volume of bullshit he's spewing... rich!
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:29 pm

You guys have to remember that it's a business and these are business decisions in addition to everything else. It's how some of these guys put food on the table for them and maybe a family. If that means turning your cheek on the moral compass for better tour/clinic support then I can understand it ( while not agreeing 100% ).

Look at Weck and Sabian. The first gen Sabians he played sounded god fucking awful. That electric band record he did back then? C'mon, they sound pretty bad on that recording. Over time they have improved and sound fine now. I assume he gets a cut from the Evo line? I don't know for sure but it's business if that's the case.

I think playing things soley because they sound the best is a bit pie-in-the-sky. What if you tour all the time, and tour support isn't as good, or even problematic? That means every gig the additional hassle of dealing with gear. No thanks.

Again, I don't agree with this stuff 100% but I see the other side. And for the record I think the Zildjian stuff sounds better =) (and anything is better than DW honestly)
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:47 pm

By Trolls I meant the people that post on others drum videos and proceed to bash the author and compare the material to Mike Johnston..

Using the same diatribe...I totally think there's a Mike Johnston promotional training manual out there somewhere.. Or he's doing it himself...

Which is a good idea if you want people to talk about you...

His drums sounded good.. cymbals. not so much
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Look at Weck and Sabian. The first gen Sabians he played sounded god fucking awful. That electric band record he did back then? C'mon, they sound pretty bad on that recording. Over time they have improved and sound fine now.

First generation Sabian cymbals were THE SAME as Zildjian. Made in the former Zildjian factory in New Brunswick, Canada. I had a bunch of Sabian cymbals when they originally changed over from Zildjian, and I had Zildjians that were made at the same factory. No difference. None.

Over the years, Sabian has obviously differentiated themselves from Zildjian, and for a while were the only large manufacturer making truly hand hammered cymbals in North America.

If they sounded fucking awful to you, that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But if you were digging on Zildjian at the same time, it would be incongruous.

I personally don't remember Weckl ever sounding bad. I'm pretty sure he was playing Sabians on Bill Connors "Step It". Do you think those sounded like shit too?

Return to “Drumming Chat”