Carlock moves to Grestch

bstocky

Re: Carlock moves to Grestch

Postby bstocky » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:54 am

I think Yamaha has everyone beat on hardware. DW make the best and the most innovative stuff to me but it's too heavy for a Joe Blow to carry. I tired an awesome snare stand last week but there's no way I'd ever buy it based on it's weight.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:29 am

bstocky wrote:DW make the best and the most innovative stuff to me

I disagree completely. Yamaha, Tama, and now Ludwig ALL have Drum Workshop beat. And Sonor has amazing stuff too, but it's a bit too heavy. DW? Yuck. Not a chance. :)
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 pm

DSOP wrote:Yamaha has Gretsch beat on hardware, that's for sure.

That's true. Most of Yamaha's hardware is bulletproof and very functional. But, for snare stands, I prefer Pearl with the solid stainless steel universal tilter. Brilliant design. And for pedals, I prefer Tama, Pearl and DW to Yamaha pedals.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Henry II wrote: for snare stands, I prefer Pearl with the solid stainless steel universal tilter. Brilliant design.

I used to prefer Pearl snare stands too, but the latest top o' the line Yamaha is superior. Seriously. Check it out.
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Yamaha tom holders kept stripping the 7 years I played Yamaha hardware - had to replace them all the time. No problem with DW tom holders and I've used them for 5 years - I use 7000 series - which I love - and it's not as heavy as Yamaha "light" hardware - the 9000 series is the backbreaker stuff.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:45 pm

drum6282 wrote:Yamaha tom holders kept stripping the 7 years I played Yamaha hardware - had to replace them all the time.

You obviously over-tightened them. I've been using them for about 25 years, no problem at all.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:00 pm

DSOP wrote:
drum6282 wrote:Yamaha tom holders kept stripping the 7 years I played Yamaha hardware - had to replace them all the time.

You obviously over-tightened them. I've been using them for about 25 years, no problem at all.

Yeah I'm with Paul here, even my drum tech in the past, during 3 years tour, no problem.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:46 am

I guess DW can handle my over - tightening better than Yamaha
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:58 am

drum6282 wrote:I guess DW can handle my over - tightening better than Yamaha

Apparently so. Drum Workshop builds hardware for body-builders and lumberjacks. Yamaha designs hardware for sensitive arthritis sufferers.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:46 am

I agree that in a lot of ways Yamaha hardware is superior, but I like the heaviness of DW's hardware. Sometimes with my metal, I dont always want to be extra careful, and I just wind up piling it in the back of my vehicle. I feel I pay the extra $$ for durability. Also at the shore, I wind up playing outdoors for a good portion of the season. Those ocean breezes will whip lighter stands around. As for the snare stand, I have the 9000 and I love it. Again its a bit heavy, but when Im whackin a heavy snare with 5bs or 2bs all night, I never have to think twice about it. Im sure Yamaha and Ludwig make snare stands that will compare, but I like DW's tilter. Asd for my Yamaha tom mounts, the only issues Ive had are when I was young and overtightened them as DSOP said.

Return to “Drumming Chat”