Carlock moves to Grestch

Michael Sutton

Re: Carlock moves to Grestch

Postby Michael Sutton » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:03 pm

Was at the 55 Bar solo gig Keith did last week and noticed some guys from Gretsch at the table in front of me that were chatting with him.

He played some great stuff, but I wish some of some of his ideas got developed further. Personal preference, I suppose. The audience went nuts for all the monster 32nd note flurries that he does, but there were other things I found to be much more interesting. Great sounding cymbals and drums , too... I'll be curious to see what his Gretsch configuration is like.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:38 am

Da Chooch wrote:Carlock will alway sound like well.... Carlock :)

and you will always sound like you and so on and so on.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:44 am

DSOP wrote:I've heard rumors that Gretsch may bring the shell building in-house sometime in the future. Not that there's anything wrong with Keller. My Keller shelled Gretsch sound pretty awesome. But then again, my Gretsch work much better after I installed Yamaha tom mounts... :)

You drilled your Gretsch shells? :o
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:46 am

DSOP wrote:
Josiah wrote:I guess the money hit the right number for Mr. Carlock, that's shame too.

Gretsch doesn't pay ANYONE a dime.

Maybe Carlock can afford Gretsch's now! :lol:
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:49 am

drumnhands wrote:
Josiah wrote:
DSOP wrote:Gretsch doesn't pay ANYONE a dime.

HA Ha... ya right.

Who you trying to fool?

Yamaha DOES pay their artists. So why would someone go from getting paid to no pay? Think about it.

Who told you that? Yamaha does not pay any of the drum artists, period. Keith leaving was something that he was up front about. He still loves Yamaha, and we are all still great friends. His reason for leaving was simply to find inspiration from a new sound, something different. I do not believe that Gretsch paid him, his leaving was for a legit reason.

Hahaha! Josiah talkin' BS, again!
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:29 am

The musical instrument world is not flourishing. Many of these drum companies are struggling to stay in business. I'm hearing many delusions of grandeur with regards to drummers being paid to endorse. Hardly anyone is on payroll nowadays. You can judge the sales success of a drum company based on only one item. Entry level kits. The kits that cost little to make and have the most profit for the company. Who's in the the lead? Pacific is #1 in the market. DW. Yamaha is 4th. Gretsch isn't even on the map. So that will give you a good indication of who can afford what. Also remember that Yamaha went through some major changes and led many endorsers to want to leave. I believe the feeling remains because Joe Testa signed many of these drummers such as Keith. When Joe Testa was let go, it left a bad taste behind, and endorsers were angry with the company. I remember hearing many complain about it.

DSOP is 100% correct. Gretsch does not pay, including top dog VC. They simply can't afford to. All the greats have started on Gretsch. Keith was playing Gretsch at 55 bar with Wayne Krantz long before he signed with Yamaha.Even Gadd plays Gretsch at home. The changes that occurred within Yamaha's A+R after the recession, caused Yamaha to tighten up and also left many endorsers disappointed. It was probably a matter of Keith being denied free gear. Keith was not getting paid to play Yamaha. There only 2 drummers who are on salary. Steve Gadd and Dave Weckl. They are on the Yamaha Japan payroll not Yamaha USA. Gretsch can only provide so much. Keith will probably be back to a larger company once the big tours aren't coming his way as often and he has a few Gretsch kits at home. Zach on the other hand has never been a priority at Yamaha, and I'm sure he'll have more attention at Gretsch. Don't be fooled by sound issues, music has nothing to do with these decisions as a great musician can make any quality instrument sound great.
Last edited by Robert Bluman on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 am

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:01 am

Robert Bluman wrote:The musical instrument world is not flourishing. Many of these drum companies are struggling to stay in business. I'm hearing many delusions of grandeur with regards to drummers being paid to endorse. Hardly anyone is on payroll nowadays. You can judge the sales success of a drum company based on only one item. Entry level kits. The kits that cost little to make and have the most profit for the company. Who's in the the lead? Pacific is #1 in the market. DW. Yamaha is 4th. Gretsch isn't even on the map. So that will give you a good indication of who can afford what. Also remember that Yamaha went through some major changes and led many endorsers to want to leave. I believe the feeling remains because Joe Testa signed many of these drummers such as Keith. When Joe Testa was let go, it left a bad taste behind, and endorsers were angry with the company. I remember hearing many complain about it.

DSOP is 100% correct. Gretsch does not pay, including top dog VC. They simply can't afford to. All the greats have started on Gretsch. Keith was playing Gretsch at 55 bar with Wayne Krantz long before he signed with Yamaha.Even Gadd plays Gretsch at home. The changes that occurred within Yamaha's A+R after the recession, caused Yamaha to tighten up and also left many endorsers disappointed. It was probably a matter of Keith being denied free gear. Keith was not getting paid to play Yamaha. There only 2 drummers who are on salary. Steve Gadd and Dave Weckl. They are on the Yamaha Japan payroll not Yamaha USA. Gretsch can only provide so much. Keith will probably be back to a larger company once the big tours aren't coming his way as often and he has a few Gretsch kits at home. Zach on the other hand has never been a priority at Yamaha, and I'm sure he'll have more attention at Gretsch. Don't be fooled by sound issues, music has nothing to do with these decisions as a great musician can make any quality instrument sound great.

You say it all Robert as personaly I left Yamaha the next day I heard Joe was let go, and the guy from Grestsch France (Fender) made me a proposal maybe a couple a month before... So I called him back straight away, but I was already playing Gretsch for small gigs in my town since very longtime. :-)

And because Joe is working with Vic Firth, some guys could left the brand of their drum sticks for going where he is, for that same reason, some people would love to follow Marco Soccoli for playing Evand heads, like Jojo I think, friendship over the business, I like that.
Last edited by Rodge on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:02 am

Henry II wrote:You drilled your Gretsch shells? :o

Yes indeed. Best thing I ever did. :)

Mind you, I've been customizing my kits like this since I was 16. I installed Premier tom mounts on a new Slingerland kit that I ordered without mounts back in 1979.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:49 am

Why would anyone publicize any brand at that level for free? That would be just silly.

Hurdy der i'll just expose your brand in front of millions of people, publicly state it's the best, do clinics for your company and all for free!

...right.

And Henry II, GFY

Return to “Drumming Chat”