Carlock moves to Grestch

Ardent15

Re: Carlock moves to Grestch

Postby Ardent15 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:
Juan Expósito wrote:I´m not an expert in endorsing, but it´s hard to believe that Vinnie doesn´t get paid by Getsch.
His status as musician and exposure that he does with his gear are on the TOP, so it´s hard to believe.
And he is not doing clinics organized by Gretsch or any company, so...¿ just free gear ?

Don't mistake his popularity here on HOD and amongst a dedicated following with a worldwide star status.

Yeah...most people have HEARD Vinnie, they haven't really heard OF Vinnie. ;)
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:24 pm

I don't see this on the Gretch site. Just Steve Ferrone's signature kit. The sig kits must not be selling very well.

Last edited by Rhythmatist on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Josiah wrote:Why would anyone publicize any brand at that level for free? That would be just silly.

Hurdy der i'll just expose your brand in front of millions of people, publicly state it's the best, do clinics for your company and all for free!

...right.

And Henry II, GFY

Hahaha! You've been on a roll ever since you came on here and proudly proclaimed that Jack Dejohnette's playing was crap. Love you even more, Josiah!
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:35 pm

bigbone wrote:NOT one drummer is payed to play a brand of drum, not one drum company pay there endorsee, the only thing
that they sometime promise, is a number of clinic every years, this is were they got ''payed'', by doing clinic,
and free gear when your are on the '' 5 stars'' roster. anything else is Bull.....

I understand the clinic thing, but where are Vinnie´s clinics for the last xxxx years ?
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:46 pm

I've never heard from an endorser that they've been paid to use their products..

I know a few A listers for Sonor and Yamaha and while they'll get what they need to perform live or in the studio.. The most they'll get these days is to keep a kit they've used for a tour.. And for most regular level endorsers,.. They might get a free kit, but everything else is at a discount..Around cost or a bit more..

Most of the time when endorsee's are coming up.. They are looking for an endorsement.. The drum brand isn't looking for the artist..
Perhaps if someone is already established.. there might be an incentive to steal an artist for profile..and pay them..

But I think from the endorsees I know it has more to do with the relationships you have with the companies..
People come and go in the industry,.. Products change. Endorsee input level can change.. It's more likely things like that that would make an artist move from one company to another..
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:09 pm

Juan Expósito wrote:
bigbone wrote:NOT one drummer is payed to play a brand of drum, not one drum company pay there endorsee, the only thing
that they sometime promise, is a number of clinic every years, this is were they got ''payed'', by doing clinic,
and free gear when your are on the '' 5 stars'' roster. anything else is Bull.....

I understand the clinic thing, but where are Vinnie´s clinics for the last xxxx years ?

Vinnie don't do a lot of clinic because # 1, he's book solid, and # 2, he doesn't like ( and believe) in the clinic
format.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Lars Ulrich has to be paid by Tama and Portnoy and Neil back then and Stewart Copeland... Bruford, Simon Phillips... those guys must have been paid to play Tama drums. Maybe it's different now because the whole music industry has changed but kids still buy what their heroes play. I had a student tonight that wants to buy a Pearl Reference kit just because he saw one video of Dennis Chambers playing them. He doesn't even know that Gretsch and 20 other great companies exist. He just wants Pearl because Dennis kicked his ass.

What about Paul McCartney and his Hofner bass, do you know how many bass guitars they have sold just because Paul played one? They must have given him some kind of financial reward for all he's done for them.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:31 pm

bigbone wrote:Vinnie don't do a lot of clinic because # 1, he's book solid, and # 2, he doesn't like ( and believe) in the clinic
format.

Yes, I know his feelings about clinics.
It´s just that I find it, without that clinic economic part, Vinnie´s endorsement is scarce, compared to others.
Or Vinnie is very generous.
Or both things, maybe.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:42 pm

bstocky wrote:What about Paul McCartney and his Hofner bass, do you know how many bass guitars they have sold just because Paul played one? They must have given him some kind of financial reward for all he's done for them.

I really don't think they could give him an amount of money that would seem like anything more than pocket change. Why even try to?

Ringo did more single-handedly for the sale of all drums, let alone Ludwig, but all Ludwig ever gave him was a gold snare drum. Regardless, I don't think anyone should spend much time worrying or speculating about how others are being compensated. Instrument manufacturers aren't making so much money that they can afford to give it away. Most of them are owned by much larger parent companies and probably wouldn't survive otherwise.
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Juan Expósito wrote:
bigbone wrote:Vinnie don't do a lot of clinic because # 1, he's book solid, and # 2, he doesn't like ( and believe) in the clinic
format.

Yes, I know his feelings about clinics.
It´s just that I find it, without that clinic economic part, Vinnie´s endorsement is scarce, compared to others.
Or Vinnie is very generous.
Or both things, maybe.

Or maybe, Just Maybe, he really like, and respect, Fred Grestch , and also Tony Williams memory.........

Return to “Drumming Chat”