Carlock moves to Grestch

DSOP

Re: Carlock moves to Grestch

Postby DSOP » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Josiah wrote:I guess the money hit the right number for Mr. Carlock, that's shame too.

Gretsch doesn't pay ANYONE a dime.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Josiah wrote:Haha right? or some "it's like being part of a family and coming home"

I guess the money hit the right number for Mr. Carlock, that's shame too.

Nothing wrong with chaging of brand.
It´s just that most of speeches of drummers talking about their new drums/brand are really boring, and most of them sound "fake".

Sure Carlock has his reasons.
If money or something related with economy is that reason, I find it perfect.

He´s been with Yamaha for a LONG time.
I can´t remember seeing Keith with another drum company. ?¿?¿?
I´m looking forward to the welcoming Carlock/Gretsch video.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Juan Expósito wrote:I can´t remember seeing Keith with another drum company. ?¿?¿?

He was playing Gretsch back when he was in school.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:10 pm

DSOP wrote:
Josiah wrote:I guess the money hit the right number for Mr. Carlock, that's shame too.

HA Ha... ya right.

Who you trying to fool?

Yamaha DOES pay their artists. So why would someone go from getting paid to no pay? Think about it.
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19 pm

Josiah wrote:
DSOP wrote:

HA Ha... ya right.

Who you trying to fool?

Yamaha DOES pay their artists. So why would someone go from getting paid to no pay? Think about it.

Who told you that? Yamaha does not pay any of the drum artists, period. Keith leaving was something that he was up front about. He still loves Yamaha, and we are all still great friends. His reason for leaving was simply to find inspiration from a new sound, something different. I do not believe that Gretsch paid him, his leaving was for a legit reason.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Josiah wrote:Yamaha DOES pay their artists.

Unless you're talking about percentage for a signature model, I don't believe this is true.
Rene

Postby Rene » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:08 pm

This discussion reminds of this stand-up comedy act by Chad Smith, about his "love" for Gretsch drums:

Well if Keith would have switched to DW, then it was for the money definitely ;-).
Last edited by Rene on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:32 pm

drummers changing drum or cymbal brands is news these days. i guess some care. i used to be influenced by drummers playing this and that when i was like 19. now i don't give a flying shit. if it sounds good to me ears i save up and go get it. problem these days is that so much stuff sounds good.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Josiah wrote:
DSOP wrote:

HA Ha... ya right.

Who you trying to fool?

Not fooling anyone. That's the fact Jack.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:42 pm

I agree about the whole " this is the sound..." blah blah blah. The guys who say this always seem to switch to a drum company that is just as popular as theier last one, and the company has been around forever. I can understand if it was a new company doing something that few have done before, but these days a suspended 6 ply maple drum with a 30-45 degree edge is not going to sound too much different from another. Of course there are subtle differences, but with mic'ing, and the fact that most of these guys are beating the piss outta the drums, I dont see how it could be very different live in a club. Maybe at home in there practice room it sounds different. Maybe Im wrong. I have two different kits with different wood, so of course they sound and feel different to me. Before anybody jumps on me, I know for a long time Keith was playing Oak Yamahas, but I think he was playing maple the past few years. The only thing I could really think of for his move is that I personally don't think of Yamaha these days when it comes to maple. Maybe he felt the same way.
About the money situation, we can all speculate all we want, but we won't know the truth till it's us sitting in the negotiating chair behind closed doors. Just like colleges don't "pay" their athletes.

Return to “Drumming Chat”