Vinnie/Gretsch divorce?

langmick

Re: Vinnie/Gretsch divorce?

Postby langmick » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:28 pm

The sound the producer got on the Satch record, at least the toms, was surprisingly brittle.
Lorenzini

Postby Lorenzini » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Whats a "fan boy"?

I am still scratching my head on his move to Ludwig & Paiste, considering where he came from. NOT A FAN! I would love to see him back at Gretsch and to give Istanbul Agop another look...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Lorenzini wrote:I am still scratching my head on his move to Ludwig & Paiste, considering where he came from. NOT A FAN! I would love to see him back at Gretsch and to give Istanbul Agop another look...

Paiste has many different lines that each sound incredible, and completely different from each other, are super consistent, and can be used in any combination. Agop and Mehmet cymbals sound amazing, but are not very consistent, and are basically one sort of sound - the classic Zildjian sound from the past. Vinnie checked out both Agop and Mehmet quite a bit before going all in with Paiste. He took a long time to be sure about the cymbals.

As for Ludwig, their drums have a certain classic sound, and Vinnie likes a dry, throaty, punchy sound and feel. Unfortunately, things didn't turn out to be quite what they should have been. He will probably take more time sorting out the drum situation this time around.
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:21 am

Makes me wonder if he's intrigued by stuff like the PHX and Oak kits from Yamaha.
Got Blushda?
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:44 am

Seems that with the big names DW Jazz Series is all that's left.

He'll either crawl back to Gretsch or maybe he'll start the Vinnie Colaiuta Drum company together with Ray Ayotte, or something. :D
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:34 pm

From what I've heard on these utoob clips, the Ludwigs have way less 'attack' or 'edge'. Vinnie sounds at his best with Yammie or Gretsch in my humble opinion. Same goes for the Zildjians, although the Paistes do sound great. The 'imperfections' that come with Zildjian are always used for the better with guys like Vinnie. Maybe he'll end up in Rodge's team one day ;-]
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:53 pm

willyz wrote:Makes me wonder if he's intrigued by stuff like the PHX and Oak kits from Yamaha.

For the money the Oak Custom is consistently the best kit I've heard. I had less trouble tuning it than the PHX, your mileage may vary.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Yamaha has a few prototypes in the works that are supposed to be crazy good. Nothing new will be released for at least another year though.
SergioAngelino

Postby SergioAngelino » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:09 am

HEY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

I've found a "news"

...go to http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/links.aspx

...where is the Ludwig's logo?!?!

:D
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:31 am