Question for Teachers here with students who quit

Mike Meyers

Question for Teachers here with students who quit

Postby Mike Meyers » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:02 pm

I recently had a student quit (last night) who I've had for at least 4-5 years. I've had a couple of long discussions with him recently about him wanting to quit. He's a freshman in high school and wants to play hockey. He said he enjoys coming to lessons, but he doesn't like practicing. He's got a bit of a Joe Jackson situation (minus the beatings, thank goodness), where his dad feels like he's invested a lot of money in both of his son's playing (my student's older brother plays guitar) and he thinks they should be able to just play a tune at the drop of a hat. Realistically, not just any tune, but one they've worked on. I don't normally teach songs in lessons,I like to teach technique, reading, and show them some things I think are pretty cool. Then, if they want to learn a song, I'll gladly work on it with them, but I want them driving the bus on how serious they want to take it. If they are serious, I'll push 'em, but if they're in it for fun, why make it not fun.

Well, here is the meat of my question. My students pay at the beginning of the month for the entire month, and I call it "tuition". His father sent me a text message telling me again that he is quitting (my student called me himself last night to tell me) and wondered if he owed for any lessons. Normally, if I get less that 24 hours notice of a cancellation, the student loses the money for that week. I'm pretty reasonable about rescheduling if I can. His lesson would have been tonight, so his call was within 24 hours, no money back. But, there are two lessons left for this month, and I don't know whether or not to offer it back to them. The student was taking hour lessons, which equals $35/lesson. $70 doesn't break me, but it's not easy to refund money that I've already budgeted for. His dad hasn't asked for it back, but I don't know whether to offer it up since he quit in the middle of the month. There is a specific time with college tuition where if you drop a class, you don't get your money back. I'm not a college, but I've never dealt with something like this in my lesson practice before.

Ideas? Thanks!

Mike Meyers
Guess what...I got a fever and the only prescription...is more cowbell!
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Re: Question for Teachers here with students who quit

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:12 pm

If it's not really going to impact your quality of life this month, I would return it, for the simple reason that your student's family would look favorably upon such a gesture and more readily recommend you as a teacher to friends, vs them being bitter about the whole thing. That said, I don't know the exact dynamics of your relationship with this student's family and how realistic it would be for them to know another potential student, but that's my .02.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:03 pm

As Andrew stated they might be grateful and more willing to recommend your services if you returned it. Especially if they hadn't even asked or completely overlooked it. And I think you would actually have more peace of mind too. =) My .02 cents.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:30 pm

x3 on that.

Small price for large gesture.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:24 pm

This guy will not recommend you because his kids don't know how to play a song. It's all your fault, his kids are genius. Keep the money. If they call back, say you got a new phone and lost their number. Tell him you have a two week policy in regards to quitting.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:25 pm

I'd have him finish his lessons, but I'd teach him songs using charts.. so he has to read as well..
Plus he has to play stuff note for note, all accents doubles ect have to be perfect.. which leas to technique exercises..
Dave Capuzelo

Postby Dave Capuzelo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:10 pm

If you've had the student for 4-5 years, you've already made thousands off of him. Id definitely return the money.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 pm

I have all the same rules as the OP. If the kid was a pain for 4 years I would keep the money unless they ask for it. If the kid was cool, I would return the money immediately or offer them credit in case he changes his mind and comes back to you in the future.
Mike Meyers

Postby Mike Meyers » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks for the opinions, Guys! I didn't offer it up. The kid was a pleasure to work with. His dad, on the other hand, could change his mind at the drop of a hat and wanted things out of his kid that I didn't believe in. They could have easily finished out the month. I had started the kid working with charts, and he could read music pretty well. I just think his parents helped burn him out on playing drums. It's a real shame.

Thanks,

Mike
Guess what...I got a fever and the only prescription...is more cowbell!
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:25 am

Mike Meyers wrote:Thanks for the opinions, Guys! I didn't offer it up. The kid was a pleasure to work with. His dad, on the other hand, could change his mind at the drop of a hat and wanted things out of his kid that I didn't believe in. They could have easily finished out the month. I had started the kid working with charts, and he could read music pretty well. I just think his parents helped burn him out on playing drums. It's a real shame.

Thanks,

Mike
That is great news.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Drumming Chat”