Theory of rhythm

john lamb

Theory of rhythm

Postby john lamb » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm doing a little research - are there any theories of rhythm I can look up? Something in the vein of western musical theory? .... i.e. "this is how rhythm is put together, and this is how you achieve effects"
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Josiah

Re: Theory of rhythm

Postby Josiah » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:22 am

I don't know of any single document source. However you could look at the more advanced rhythmic theory books -

Illusions in Rhythm for Drum Set (Mizuno/Colaiuta)
Illusions in Drumset (Harrison)
Rhythm & Meter Patterns: Polyrhythms (Chaffee)
The UnReel Drum Book (Atkison) - No explaining of why, but a great look of how vinnie does what he does in regards to manipulating time. If you listen while reading along with the transcription you can get a good idea of how/what types of modulation have what effect.

There are some basic theoretical "rules" that I remember from studying classical theory in regards to note tension and release, but even then it wasn't much.

A subject of much interest and little documentation.

I think you can start with whatever basic rhythmic frame work, and the farther away a note value is from the "set" of values in the framework, the more tension against the existing structure. Then you have rhythmic accelerating or decelerating by changing note values, by creating artificial values (IE baseless accelerandos), or from implied modulation.

If you're up on your theory, you may want to research into counterpoint as it does delve into the rhythmic theories that accompany counterpoint concepts, linear counterpoint, dissonant counterpoint, voice leading and counterpoint melody. There are lots of texts on this subject.

IMO these areas of study are the most applicable to drum set, particularly voice leading when you start to relate the "lead" melody as the ride hand/pattern, etc
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:27 pm

John,
The book that you are looking for, is called "The Rhythmic Structure Of Music." I have it (somewhere in my "library") and have been through it a few times. I forget the author, but I'm sure it can be found on Amazon. It deals with everything you are asking about. It leans toward classical music, but hey, there are several hundreds of years of documentation, evolution and rhythmic "precedent" in that genre, and comparatively jazz, rock, etc. are just in their infancy.

Check it out, I think it's what you are looking for,
Mark
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Great call Mark! I just ordered it. Looks like an interesting read. Thanks!
Dave Goodman

Postby Dave Goodman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:06 pm

John,

The "Rhythm" chapter in composer Henry Cowell's revolutionary manifesto New Music Resources from the 1930s will likely bake your noodle, so to speak. He posits an entirely new method for conceiving of rhythm. The ideas didn't take hold in the mainstream, but they are worth thinking about, if only on a purely theoretical level.

Also, Steve Vai's unpublished article, Tempo Mental (http://www.vai.com/tempo-mental/) is an extremely useful and well-written read about how rhythms are put together.

Finally, it is interesting to study the history of "white mensural notation" as this shows how our current rhythmic semiotics evolved over the past few centuries from the notations of early Grygorian chant music. Fascinating stuff.

Hope this helps,

DG
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Great stuff guys, thanks! Does anyone know of Indian music theory texts or theory from non-Western sources?

I would also like more about how to achieve certain effects... the Western Classical stuff is great - I'd like more of it, but also from other styles if anyone knows anything. One is Russ Miller's Drum Set Crash Course.

thanks!

Dave Goodman wrote:John,

Finally, it is interesting to study the history of "white mensural notation" as this shows how our current rhythmic semiotics evolved over the past few centuries from the notations of early Grygorian chant music. Fascinating stuff.

Hope this helps,

DG

Each note had a much shorter temporal value than its nominal modern counterpart.
AHH this makes SO MUCH SENSE. I've been thinking for a while that the notation is scaled wrong.
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 pm

This sort of thing totally intrigues me guys!
Thanks for the reading lists!

MP
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:54 am

Some awesome books I've uncovered:

Music Perception - Jones/Fay et al, 2010
some REAL interesting stuff, including a neurological basis for the 80-120 bpm rule (or as they call it, 'preferred tempi')

Elementa Rhythmica - Aristoxenus
ancient Greek music theory. Turns out the word 'down' beat and 'upbeat' derives from this, in that downbeat means a beat that the foot is on the ground, and upbeat means a beat that the foot is in the air. A measure was called a 'foot'

...er I have a great book time in Indian music, but I can't find it to recommend it at the moment.. I'll fill it in later.

I'd love to find a book about rhythmical rules in poetry... anyone have any thoughts there? thanks!
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:05 am

Another interesting thing from the Music Perception book..... Seems babies are primed for understanding rhythm + meter in the womb, and their brains specialize in the rhythms they hear from 9-12 months of age. The book is geared as easily readable for cog scientists... so if you have a little science background its not bad @ all, but otherwise might be a bit thick. Much easier to read than the original abstracts, though! Highly recommended.
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:37 am

Return to “Drumming Chat”