Poll: Timekeeping... external or internal?

john lamb

Re: Poll: Timekeeping... external or internal?

Postby john lamb » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:00 pm

Josiah wrote:^- that's interesting, but one has to ask which way the results are. Does the amped up person like faster music because they are amped up, or because the music gets them amped up and they like that. Would be impossible to isolate which direction it goes.

Totally impossible. As with emotions themselves, it is a cycle, not a uni-directional event. They are co-dependent.

I highly doubt it is a uniform issue for all humans. People learn, think and process information differently. It makes sense the "internal clock" would vary just as much.
In the entrainment theory, yes. in the pacemaker theory, no.

Some drummers have talked about using larger movements for slower tempos. Some guys can pull out a groove pretty spot on for the desired tempo.

Being we are organic, it makes sense someones "natural" time will have organic attributes - breathing with the music, whatever. Some drummers have incredibly FEEL - but it is mechanically not in time because of this. VS Being in perfect mechanical time, which is a learned thing. You have to learn to NOT give into the emotion of the music, the tendency to rush or drag figures, etc

Given the (presumably umbrella fact) that nobody is born with inherently perfect mechanical time, it is a learned process, so the variations of that learning process probably coincide with the internal methods that individual uses to achieve the desired effect.

There are lots of people who "learned" to keep time physically, stomping out 4's on the hats for instance. They fall apart without that physical crutch. They developed a truly 'external' time keeping mechanism.
Are movements external? external to what? the physical movement is the result of the mind, after all. Imagining (aka visualizing) movements use nearly all the same processes as actually doing it.

I think the real fascinating thing is beyond how, because it is what it is, but the finite differences within "in time". The same groove played by Vinnie will sound very different then say JR, even though both will be absolutely excellent in meter. Presumably due to incredibly minute differences in the timing of the notes, which we translate as "feel".
Don't forget pitch, timbre, articulation, how long the notes are, dynamics, and all the other aspects of msic that don't translate into staff notation.
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:58 am

john lamb wrote:
Josiah wrote:^- that's interesting, but one has to ask which way the results are. Does the amped up person like faster music because they are amped up, or because the music gets them amped up and they like that. Would be impossible to isolate which direction it goes.

Totally impossible. As with emotions themselves, it is a cycle, not a uni-directional event. They are co-dependent.

Totally impossible?

A person could never be depressed, anxious, excited or otherwise all on their own....

If you just want to argue your pseudo physiological theories, there are plenty of medical forums out there who would get a big kick outta some of your ideas.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:00 pm

john lamb wrote:While no link between timekeeping and heartbeat has been shown ...
...It has been shown that people have what are called 'preferred tempi'...
...80-120 bpm with 100 being the epicenter of what most people prefer...

During my CPR refresher course yesterday, I was reminded that the American Heart Association recommends that to revive a stopped heart, you should perform CPR at 100 compressions per minute.

The instructor explained the rate would maintain optimum blood pressure to sustain a life. She mentioned that many people use "Stayin' Alive" as a reference, but she's a pessimist, and prefers "Another One Bites the Dust."

I kept hearing "Addicted to Love," but I wasn't sure where it landed in reference to 100 BPM; I thought it was slower, but when I looked it up, it is 112 BPM.

That probably explains why I kept rushing the beat while practicing my compressions.
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:21 pm

bclarkio wrote:During my CPR refresher course yesterday, I was reminded that the American Heart Association recommends that to revive a stopped heart, you should perform CPR at 100 compressions per minute
ANything to keep 'em dancing, right???
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Yeah, you're right!
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:09 am

Josiah wrote:
john lamb wrote:

Totally impossible?

A person could never be depressed, anxious, excited or otherwise all on their own....

If you just want to argue your pseudo physiological theories, there are plenty of medical forums out there who would get a big kick outta some of your ideas.

Totally impossible to separate the two. It works in both directions. You can't have one without the other. There's plenty of evidence of both. Speaking of pseudoscience, pray tell how exactly would you design an experiment to show that one works to the exclusion of the other? :)
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums

Return to “Drumming Chat”