My new cd sampler!

Jim Richman

My new cd sampler!

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:38 pm

I recorded a CD for the past year, and here is a streaming sampler from it. Woohoo!

http://soundcloud.com/amoghsymphony/the ... ns-24-secs

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Jim Richman on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DSOP

Re: My new cd sampler!

Postby DSOP » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:53 pm

Cool, congratulations! That "sampler" makes it sound like most of the CD is really "in your face" and "over the top". Not really my cup of tea, but kudos to you man! Can you explain a bit more about the band or project? How many musicians? How much is live vs sequenced or looped, etc?

And good luck!
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks! First of all, Vishal really likes over the top drums. I obliged, but there were many parts that I felt could have had less notes, but we kept it note heavy. That way, the notes are cheaper. :-)

I played and recorded my acoustic kit. Vishal J.Singh programmed the electronic percussion, played guitar, bass and keyboards. It took almost a year to complete the drums. The songs changed a lot and I went thru several drum heads, as new ones sound best.
As far as live or loops, id say 90% was live drums, and the re :-| st was drum machine style with electronic sounds.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Interesting. Was it done in a home studio? Were you guys collaborating long distance, or in the same place? That's some pretty intricate, fast and tight drumming.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:15 pm

DSOP wrote:Interesting. Was it done in a home studio? Were you guys collaborating long distance, or in the same place? That's some pretty intricate, fast and tight drumming.

I recorded the drums in my home using 11 mikes. I bought new heads and thought I was ready to record some stuff. Needless to say, I started recording about 5 months after that, as it took me months to get my chops back up and work out approaches to the music. Vishal works at a studio in Mumbai India. Very long distance. Someday we will play together in the flesh. But we have a synergy together; my drumming is a catalyst for Vishal's composition.
Ghostnoter

Postby Ghostnoter » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Jim Richman wrote:
DSOP wrote:Interesting. Was it done in a home studio? Were you guys collaborating long distance, or in the same place? That's some pretty intricate, fast and tight drumming.

I recorded the drums in my home using 11 mikes. I bought new heads and thought I was ready to record some stuff. Needless to say, I started recording about 5 months after that, as it took me months to get my chops back up and work out approaches to the music. Vishal works at a studio in Mumbai India. Very long distance. Someday we will play together in the flesh. But we have a synergy together; my drumming is a catalyst for Vishal's composition.

Really intense music. The wonders of the internet with the long distance colaboration. I would like more detail as to your mic'ing, gear and technique overall, the production and final output to the sonics of your parts. [I'm a student of audio engineering/of course a drummer]
thx, Ghostnoter
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Here is an interview with the Aditya Naik who mastered the CD.
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:26 pm

WOW JIM!

Great work! Your double kick playing has seriously come on since that shed in LA! You've been working hard man!

Nice!

MP
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:41 pm

Mark P wrote:WOW JIM!

Great work! Your double kick playing has seriously come on since that shed in LA! You've been working hard man!

Nice!

MP

Thanks Mark! I was was in rough shape in LA. :lol: You are right, I worked the hardest in my life putting together the drums for this CD. I started practicing for 5-6 months right after L.A. before I started recording. :D

Return to “Drumming Chat”