Stand By Your Stick!!

Julián Fernández

Re: Stand By Your Stick!!

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:54 pm

DSOP wrote:I forgot to mention, I tried these Regal Tip sticks recently, and they're nice. I'm not crazy about the laquer though.
http://www.regaltip.com/products/drum-s ... --x-16-25-

Carlocks are nice... a little thin for me, but nice. They seem to be still available...

http://www.regaltip.com/products/drum-s ... 55--x-16--
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:20 pm

BTW - the last time I was being drowned out by loud guitar players (3 of 'em in that case), I just went back to the classic 2Bs. Once you get used to them again, you can play anything with them. Later Tony was all about the 2Bs. 2Bs f#ckin' rock. All your chops will work with 2Bs, trust me.
cristaples

Postby cristaples » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:47 pm

I like the heavy 5A out of the vic firth bunches, nylons for me when rockin'. Vinnie sticks for a bit more oomph, 5B nylon for even more, chad smith for overdrive.
I use the Dennis chambers, Peter erskine original and 5a wood vf for lighter playing. The original Peter stick is fabulous for my K Cons and the like, my hi bell dry ride sounds so light and woody with those sticks and I have a prototype left side ride with a high definition bell that really comes to life with those small round tips.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:30 am

Ive been using Vater 5B's for over 10 years now. I recently had the opportunity to try out some others (at that companies request), sticking with Vater.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:04 am

The Zildjian Vinnie stick is my main choice, but in regard to regular sticks I also use, John Riley, Peter Erskine and Tom Gauger #14 and #16 sticks. I don't have any 5As, but I don't really have a gap to fill with them either.

Basically, I love the Vinnie sticks for everything but softer jazz situations, where I can easily control the volume, but I prefer something that sounds a little warmer and produces lower overtones on the ride for those situations.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Ive been using Vater 5B's for over 10 years now. I recently had the opportunity to try out some others (at that companies request), sticking with Vater.

Let Vater know about it and they´ll do something I´m sure... 8-)
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:14 pm

It's always interesting to see what sticks we love to use and why, for me I have been on bit of a "seek and you shall find" with sticks. Recently I moved from the Vater Fussion wood tip hickory model to the maple model. The hickory started to feel a little to me so I felt the change is needed.

Loving the feel of maple I had a friends grab me some Mike Johnston hickory and maple and found the hickory was too heavy but I fell in in love with the maple straight away. Being a Vater artist I gone through a lot of sticks and from time to time my hands will dictate what they like and all I can do is go by what sticks feels right at the time I pick them up.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:25 pm

I use Vater Fusion for a long time .. NOw playing the maple model... I also like the hickory ones, they're heavier, different feel.

Thought I'd try the promark Marco Minnemann model... Not too bad. I think I will stick to Vater Fusion though..
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Josiah wrote:customdrumstix.com

You can get whatever you want, in whatever wood, finish, etc at nearly half the cost of the major brands.

I used to experiment with sanding the butt ends and tapers to change the balance of the sticks. My favorite "magic" stick is the VF 2B. I had CDX copy it and shortened it ever so slightly, it's perfection for my hands.

You've used this company? I have a couple of ideas for duplication--modification that would be fun to try. What was the turn-around time?
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Been using the Vic Firth SD10 Swinger for a couple years now and am in love! Maple-feels big like a 5B-taPer is faIrly long-and tips NEVER chip.
D.

Return to “Drumming Chat”