Vinnie no longer with Zildjian?

Rene

Re: Vinnie no longer with Zildjian?

Postby Rene » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:18 am

Yep and removed from zildjian's website. Btw when Weckl left Zildjian there was a brief announcement on zildjian's website. Nothing to read on Vinnie's departure ...

rene
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:18 am

They have to keep things quiet before introducing two new sister companies.

Colaiuta Drums - handmade by some yet unknown genius in collaboration with Vinnie Colaiuta and Gretsch.

Colaiuta Cymbals - handmade by another yet unkown genius in collacoration with Vinnie Colaiuta and Zildjian, made with a special ancient and until now thought lost recipe, used only in a handful of very old cymbals kept secret in a private Zildjian cymbal shrine. Actually, the new Indiana Jones movie is an adaptation of this story. I don't want to give the whole story away, but rumor has it that the metal is melted in and heat treated throughout the process with both the heat from a certain holy vulcano and also the flaming breath of two dragons that have been the secret Zildjian family pets for thousands of years.
samnmax203

Postby samnmax203 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:They have to keep things quiet before introducing two new sister companies.

Colaiuta Drums - handmade by some yet unknown genius in collaboration with Vinnie Colaiuta and Gretsch.

Colaiuta Cymbals - handmade by another yet unkown genius in collacoration with Vinnie Colaiuta and Zildjian, made with a special ancient and until now thought lost recipe, used only in a handful of very old cymbals kept secret in a private Zildjian cymbal shrine. Actually, the new Indiana Jones movie is an adaptation of this story. I don't want to give the whole story away, but rumor has it that the metal is melted in and heat treated throughout the process with both the heat from a certain holy vulcano and also the flaming breath of two dragons that have been the secret Zildjian family pets for thousands of years.

<gets popcorn, puts on 3d glasses, and reclines on couch> :)
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 am

I heard a rumor about this from a guy I know.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:10 pm

Just wait for the "I´ve been playing lud snares forever... there´s something about them that noone else seem to have. I played thousands of tracks with them..." jaj aja j
Funny how things work even at the highest level...
jhall

Postby jhall » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:08 am

I, for one, would love to see Vinnie move away from the endorsement game all together. It would be great if he would (out of his own pocket) finance a one-page ad in all the drum mags, a parody of the typical advertisement. He can play whatever he wants and sound brilliant doing so.
I think Vinnie transcends the rat-race of endorsements and could lead the charge that redefines they way everyone views the subject.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:27 am

Julián Fernández wrote: there´s something about them that noone else seem to have

I remember being obsessed with Bill Bruford's and Phil Collins' snare sounds back in the late 70s. Once I found out that they both played Ludwig snares, I got a Ludwig Super Sensitive that was absolutely amazing. I wish I still had it. I sold it because the snares were about $70 to replace. :(
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:20 am

Interestingly, Vinnie almost seems to have setteled on one snare lately. All I've seen him with lately is that Gretsch hand hammered brass snare with the square throw-off that he's using on the current Sting tour. He used it for the Electra soundtrack as well. Can't really find any real information on this drum, though. The side snare is a smaller Longo.
samnmax203

Postby samnmax203 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Interestingly, Vinnie almost seems to have setteled on one snare lately. All I've seen him with lately is that Gretsch hand hammered brass snare with the square throw-off that he's using on the current Sting tour. He used it for the Electra soundtrack as well. Can't really find any real information on this drum, though. The side snare is a smaller Longo.

Interesting. Is it still a stock model? (the Gretsch) I've been debating getting one of those COB he used to use a lot...

Side snare note: On the Jeff Beck gig he was using a tiny DW Craviotto piccolo that was given to him. I would love to see his snare collection!
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Some guy reporting a 05 Weckl Clinic (http://www.drummerworld.com/reports/Dav ... linic.html)

"There was also a 20” Ozone ... lovely baby with holes in it ... phenomenal trashy sound. That was also one of his designs, which brought us to the question of why he left Zildjian ... purely a business decision. Sabian is eager to create cymbals to the exact specifications of the artists, and happy to share the revenue, which was not part of Zildjian’s business plan. He said something to the effect, “I get the sound I want, and 10% of the profits. Where’s the question?”

Return to “Drumming Chat”