Steve Smith Clinic Chicago Sunday 11/21

Brad Schlueter

Steve Smith Clinic Chicago Sunday 11/21

Postby Brad Schlueter » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:15 pm

The Drum Pad is hosting Steve Smith and his band RAGABOP this Sunday at 7 pm for a drum clinic and band performance at Durty Nellies in Palatine. Tickets may be purchased at the door or in advance by calling the Drum Pad at 847-934-8768.

RAGABOP features Steve Smith, saxophonist George Brooks and guitarist Prasanna in a completely new fusion band that bases much of their material on Indian rhythmic motifs and Pan-African melodies.

Don't miss this one of a kind event featuring one of drumming's premier performers and clinicians.

Durty Nellies
180 N. Smith St.
Palatine, IL 60067

The Drum Pad
http://www.thedrumpad.com
847-934-8768
48 W. Palatine Rd.
Palatine, IL 60067

See you there!
aka Vdrummer
DSOP

Re: Steve Smith Clinic Chicago Sunday 11/21

Postby DSOP » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Reviews please.
Brad Schlueter

Postby Brad Schlueter » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:22 am

The sound was good and the band played well. I like this band more than some of his other bands. It's adventurous stuff and probably not for everyone. They played 3 songs and then discussed the way they created the music and the types of Indian music (Carnartic and Hindustani) influences behind the songs. Steve did some of the Konnokol (sp?) stuff - that ta ka ti ke ta rapping for some of it. I caught the soundcheck and heard excerpts from a few other tunes. Unfortunately, I had to leave for a gig before they played any more and didn't get to see the rest of it.
aka Vdrummer
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks Brad.
I'm not really a fan of that stuff, I just don't get the point. I mean, identical drumming would sound cooler over someone saying the same phrase using one of systems. I mean, was the language even intended to be listened to by an audience?
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:39 pm

I saw one of his shows last year.

I like to think of konnakal as Indian beat boxing, only much more square and academic. I think it's a great tool for vocalizing phrases and developing decent time. It's one of those weird tools that you can use to achieve something, but I'm on the fence on weather the tool itself is 'user-friendly'. It seems really 'heady'.

I applaud SS for exploring that though. He is such a wealth of knowledge.

Its funny that him and VC came from the same school and yet, they're really different. Monster players, both.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:25 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Thanks Brad.
I'm not really a fan of that stuff, I just don't get the point. I mean, identical drumming would sound cooler over someone saying the same phrase using one of systems. I mean, was the language even intended to be listened to by an audience?

I don't think it was, I see it like someone singing '1 e + a 2 e + a...' It just probably is more receptive to an American audience because it sounds very different, and few probably know what it is.

Steve is a great player though and I do dig on what he's trying to do with transposing the indian rhythms to drumset within a musical context.
Brad Schlueter

Postby Brad Schlueter » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:17 am

Steve mentioned that he sat in on a Konnakol clinic and practiced what he'd learned for a year. I think the idea is to tie the sung phrasing directly to the rhythms being played. So by singing the phrases it helps you keep track of where you are, a bit like counting, but more closely tied with the music. I think hearing him do it in clinic to illustrate how he was thinking and organizing the rhythms would be interesting and educational (a glimpse behind his mental curtain), but when performing I too would prefer that he turn the headset mic off. Some of my students found it fascinating though and thought the whole clinic/concert was great.

Some people who'd seen Steve in several other clinics preferred this one the most, but some people who were expecting a little more of a straight concert said they'd have preferred a little less talking. A clinic/concert is sure to confuse some people! Apparently the event lasted about 3 hours and one of my students who bought their disc thought they played the entire record and additional material (perhaps Summit tunes or future Ragabop material).
aka Vdrummer

Return to “Drumming Chat”