Vinnie signs deal with Paiste.

langmick

Re: Vinnie signs deal with Paiste.

Postby langmick » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:28 pm

Can I order a 21" blue label heavy for less than 400 bucks?

I remember, barely, a Chester T clinic put on by Paiste. The sales rep gave a demo, shop called Drums in Crafton PA. Cymbals sounded unreal. Then Ches came out after an hour or so and tried to tune a wonky Pearl tom. When he finally played...amazing. First time seeing a real drummer.

He had a 21" 602 ride.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:43 pm

langmick wrote:First time seeing a real drummer.

He had a 21" 602 ride.

The first "drum clinic" I ever attended was with Chester. This was sometime around 1978 or something. He kept raving about Tony Williams during his clinic, so the next day I picked up some Tony Williams records. And so it began...

And Chester was scary good.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Someone asked him if he could swing with his snare tilted so much toward him...

He then ripped out some swing, powerfully. Shut that dude up.

Chester is so precise...even thought it sort of sounds sloppy, his playing is extremely, absolutely accurate and meaningful.

His confidence killed me that day. His strength came from that, and he kept everyone glued for a 30min solo because of it. The bell of that ride was UNREAL.

Clarity of purpose, and clarity of thought, with repeatability and memory thrown in, that's Chester to me.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:09 pm

A friend of mine hipped me to Chester when we were both playing saxophone in high school. Neither one of us played drums at the time. He was a Genesis freak and gushed over Chester's (and Phil's) playing and had more than a passing appreciation for those guys. Several years later I got to see Chester give a couple of clinics. Once was at a local high school band room. Floor level, up close and unbelievable! I was and still am awestruck of his groove and feel. I can still sing some of his fills from 'Three Sides Live'.
I think he still gives lessons at Fork's Drum Closet in Nashville and teaches at Beaumont University.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:37 pm

I have no idea if this is Chester playing.

Sounds like his groove.

I love this.

Riddim

Postby Riddim » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Chester Thompson the organist.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:03 pm

Had some great times doing clinics with Chester Thompson during my time with Paiste in the 80s. I confused him with the keyboard player Chester, too, when I put on a poster that drummer Chester played for Santana to promote a clinic we had at a music store I worked at before Paiste. He laughed, corrected me, said he wished he had the gig.

My wife and I had dinner with him and his wife during this clinic tour through Texas in '86...really a nice family guy...fun days that I miss a little...

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Cymbalholic thread >>>

According my conversation with the local Ludwig and Paiste distributor, the news is the following ; Vinnie has signed as an official Ludwig and Paiste endorser. For me it will be bit strange to see him with Paistes...

Source:
http://www.cymbalholic.com/forums/showt ... and-Ludwig
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:13 pm

I can see having to create an account to create content, but forcing account creation to simply view is FUCKING STUPID.

I will not be able to view the above mentioned forum as a result.
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:21 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:I can see having to create an account to create content, but forcing account creation to simply view is FUCKING STUPID.

I will not be able to view the above mentioned forum as a result.

Cymbalholic.com wrote:We're sorry, we have closed our forum registration for new forum accounts / memberships until further notice. We apologize for this inconvenience. Thanks for your interest in Cymbalholic.com.
-Cymbalholic.com Administration

:|

Return to “Drumming Chat”