drummers elbow

YamahaPlayer

Re: drummers elbow

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:17 am

..or it could be daily computer use over successive years. The most common cause for RSI's. Literally affecting millions and millions of people from the sudden volume of computer use all day. You can't think injuries away. And MRI's don't lie.

Lex Parsimoniae
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:26 pm

are you serious?

Do people repress emotions? Are there biological impacts of stress? Sure, but to say the body manifests those as sore elbows is ludicrous. Why elbows? Why not my 7th toe? Why not my left ass cheek? if I called the girl I dumped when I was 15 to apologize for cheating on her (which I secretly feel horrible about), will my hemmaroids go away?

this doc has no scientific evidence to support his psuedo-science. it's a placebo effect. Tell them they'll get better and they will, for a while.

sorry to be so honest, but I'm not buying.
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:19 pm

deseipel wrote:are you serious?

Do people repress emotions? Are there biological impacts of stress? Sure, but to say the body manifests those as sore elbows is ludicrous. Why elbows? Why not my 7th toe? Why not my left ass cheek? if I called the girl I dumped when I was 15 to apologize for cheating on her (which I secretly feel horrible about), will my hemmaroids go away?

this doc has no scientific evidence to support his psuedo-science. it's a placebo effect. Tell them they'll get better and they will, for a while.

sorry to be so honest, but I'm not buying.

you're welcome
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:32 am

cjbdrm - Do you realize how many doctors, psychologist and authors have written books like that?

Take a trip to your local Barnes & Noble or Borders and ask where the "self help" section is. You'll find so many books exactly as your describe, and many more. If you really want to get your noodle twisted, go to a library and ask where to find those books (or use the computer catalog) - you'll find they exist in mass quantity.
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:10 am

I don't get your point bro- OP posted a question on what we "think it might be". I answered. It ain't about me so don't make it about me. Just disagree and move on...
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:38 pm

You also have to be very careful of Tendonosis, a real mother of a condition that can manifest from RSI. Basically, the body isn't healing properly from the micro-tearing that YamahaPlayer mentioned. It takes the body quite a long time to regenerate/repair Collagen; repeated micro-tearing can lead to plaque like formations -- lumps of collagen -- that can be uncomfortable for years. I know guitarists who've been off for anywhere from a year to three with these injuries. Some, who cover the pain with opiates or whatever, can end careers.

Tendonitis is inflammation; Tendonosis is a chronic problem that sometimes, but not always, follows Tendonitis. You don't want to go there. If your pain lasts longer than a a couple of weeks after complete rest, see a doctor versed in sports/musician's injuries.

Good luck.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:58 pm

hey, I appreciate the feedback. And I was being a bit of a jerk, so I'm sorry for what its worth.

My elbows are pretty much back to normal after almost 2 weeks. I played last night with caution and I'm happy to say that I'm good to go. I'm going to try work on slowly building up some more strength in my arms, as well as stretching out. I'm also going to examine my setup to see if I'm reaching too far or if stuff is too high, etc.

Lastly, I think I may even change my practice routine to concentrate on 'what' I'm saying via the drums vs. the 'speed' of things. I dont' tihnk that this was particularly caused by me trying to play too fast, but I have to acknowledge the possibility. It's natural to want to play things faster, but there's a point at which things have to be discernible to other musicians and people. speed is one thing, but quality is another.

Return to “Drumming Chat”