Jimmy Paxson (Jr.) Podcast

Da Chooch

Jimmy Paxson (Jr.) Podcast

Postby Da Chooch » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Some cool insights from a working drummer with a 5 star gig and all the drama in between. so transparent and vulnerable yet strong and positive. Hilarious to boot.

http://idhitthatpodcast.podomatic.com/entry/2012-03-06T16_41_18-08_00
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Rod

Re: Jimmy Paxson (Jr.) Podcast

Postby Rod » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm

I remember meeting Jimmy at West LA Music a few years ago. I told him I searched out his recordings, etc. after seeing him with Alanis Morrisette some years back on Letterman. He couldn't have been a nicer guy!

Jimmy's a real versatile player - besides his longtime Stevie Nicks gig, he does all kinds of genres in between. At the time I spoke with him he was out on the road with Idina Menzel. My friend saw him last year with Keiko Matsui. And I think he's been the main drummer of that Poncho's gig in Hermosa Beach for some time.

Jimmy recently posted on his FB some videos of his mother, Suzanne, playing keyboards with Stanley Clarke back in the day!

Nice find and post, Chooch, on this idhitthat podcast!
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Hah, Jimmy talks about the same area in South Jersey where I grew up. Cool.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Jimmy contacted me about buying my gretsch catalina jazz drums a few weeks ago. Super nice, and incredibly modest guy.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Chooch, thanks man! I love the real world stuff Jimmy shared. Sounds like a hilarious guy to hang with.
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Glad you guys are digging it. I can't take the credit though since JP himself is the one who posted it on his FB page. I just happened to link to here.

yeah fellas, I was amazed / refreshed to hear his observations and practical wisdom he'd attained through his upbringing, his pedigree, experiences (both good and bad) as well as the hangups about his own playing (though I think is really great based on what little I happen to see on you tube).

the thing that stood out to me the most was that (and perhaps this may be of east-coasters) but just a total no nonsense guy. as in "what you see is what you get". also, i like how refuses to be disresptected as a human being and demands to be treated as such as he treats others with respect and dignity also no matter how rich or famous you are. the dude's very philosophical in a "blue collar" way both in life and in the "art of drumming.." very inspiring indeed.

cheers,

Chooch
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Clint Hopkins wrote:Chooch, thanks man! I love the real world stuff Jimmy shared. Sounds like a hilarious guy to hang with.
yeah, he sounds like a blast to hang w/ as well. my ol' friend Al plays bass w/ him from time to time over at Ponchos as well as other clubs down in the south bay area.

i loved what he said about the 3 parameters in a gig of how if 2/3 were there, then the gig was tolerable.

1) great hang
2) great money
3) great music

of course 3/3 would be AWESOME. :)
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:36 pm

I didn't listen to the podcast yet (but I will when I have time.) But I will add that his dad was a GREAT (!!!!!) jazz drummer-teacher in Philly (and also was quite a character as well!) He taught at the UArts (I met him a few times when I was giving master classes there, I even sat in on a bunch of auditions once.) Anyway, I'm sure he got a bunch of his "practicality", and some of his "personality" from his dad, and he's making his father very proud!

Yeah Chooch, us "East Coasters" are a no BS kinda people. But us Philly cats can HAAANG (till the sun rises!) I've been told by some old school Philly musicians that this "tradition" goes waaay back.

And Yes Steve he is from "our old neck of the woods,"
Mark
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:09 am

DSOP wrote:Jimmy contacted me about buying my gretsch catalina jazz drums a few weeks ago. Super nice, and incredibly modest guy.

Hey Paul, may I ask why are you selling the Catalinas? I´m thinking about getting that kit for local gigging... Any regrets on the sound or the hardware?
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Hey Paul, may I ask why are you selling the Catalinas? I´m thinking about getting that kit for local gigging... Any regrets on the sound or the hardware?

I sold them. I didn't love the sound. They were okay, but I think there are better options out there (Yamaha, Tama, Sonor) for small, inexpensive, portable kits. I may get one of those Brooklyn kits or just get an 18" USA Custom bass drum and use my current toms with it.

Return to “Drumming Chat”