My doctoral thesis on Tony Williams and originality

Dave Goodman

My doctoral thesis on Tony Williams and originality

Postby Dave Goodman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi there,

After seven years of exhaustive research work, I finally graduated last December with a PhD from the University of Sydney's music department, The Sydney Conservatorium of Music for my thesis that is primarily about my take on Tony Williams and developing originality as a jazz drummer.

It is my sincere hope that the drummers on here might be able to get something from it. After receiving some very encouraging words after sending it to matthughen yesterday, I decided to bight the bullet and to post the link to the entire forum. This is the permanent link to Sydney Uni's eScholarship site from whence you can download it in PDF form: http://hdl.handle.net/2123/7797

Please feel free to pass the link on to any musicians who you think might enjoy a read. I'll be happy to enter into a dialogue with you concerning the subject too.

Regards,

DG
MRhet

Re: My doctoral thesis on Tony Williams and originality

Postby MRhet » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Haven't looked at it yet -- but congratulations :!: :!: :!:
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:31 pm

Very cool. Thanks for sharing it.
sturla

Postby sturla » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Wow! That is great Dave. Congratulations.
I look forward to reading it.....
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:47 am

Congratulations, it must have took you a lot of time to put that whole thing together because its freaking HUGE!!! I look forward to reading it. Thanks for sharing.

D.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:14 am

Impressive work Dave, congrats on completion.
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:53 pm

I need to be sitting with my computer ready to google new words when I read this! Truely awesome, indeed!!!!

This is worth checking out if only just for the thorough discography section.

Congrats again, Dr. Goodman.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Dave Goodman wrote:Hi there,

After seven years of exhaustive research work, I finally graduated last December with a PhD from the University of Sydney's music department, The Sydney Conservatorium of Music for my thesis that is primarily about my take on Tony Williams and developing originality as a jazz drummer.

It is my sincere hope that the drummers on here might be able to get something from it. After receiving some very encouraging words after sending it to matthughen yesterday, I decided to bight the bullet and to post the link to the entire forum. This is the permanent link to Sydney Uni's eScholarship site from whence you can download it in PDF form: http://hdl.handle.net/2123/7797

Please feel free to pass the link on to any musicians who you think might enjoy a read. I'll be happy to enter into a dialogue with you concerning the subject too.

Regards,

DG

"Bight" the bullet? That's a new word. Anyway, if I recall correctly, Tony Williams said that he learned to play jazz by listening to Philly Joe Jones. Just saying that Tony was great, but, he didn't invent the wheel.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:32 pm

A hearty congrats to Dr. Goodman!

What a fantastic undertaking and achievement, I look forward to reading and learning from your new "treatise." I hope it helps you further your goals, wherever they may lead.

Thanks for caring about this art form, creativity, and originality! And I congratulate you for your commitment!

Sincerely,
Mark

PS. Now... Everybody with an ear to listen, and eyes to read; Log off of youtube, forget about weekend chatty (sorry Steve!) forget about who's playing what, take a second and download this to your favorite device, and take the weekend and start reading Dave's work (you can look up the big words.) I'm sure we'll ALL learn a LOT!
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:16 am

Henry II wrote:"Bight" the bullet? That's a new word. Anyway, if I recall correctly, Tony Williams said that he learned to play jazz by listening to Philly Joe Jones. Just saying that Tony was great, but, he didn't invent the wheel.

Well, that's overly dismissive, don't you think? "Yeah, I gotcher thesis right here, pal...."

Return to “Drumming Chat”