Advice Needed: How to Get Playing in Austin, Texas

YamahaPlayer

Re: Advice Needed: How to Get Playing in Austin, Texas

Postby YamahaPlayer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:06 am

^ +gazillion

If you feel like a "fraud" having business cards, that most likely more just you aren't feeling confident in your playing. Be confident, take gigs, play em, be nervous and learn that you CAN do it. Besides, you don't need to worry about pulling off that flambazulladiddleegg19 lick, just keep 2 & 4 solid, deep and groovy!
rpc

Postby rpc » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:09 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:^ +gazillion

If you feel like a "fraud" having business cards, that most likely more just you aren't feeling confident in your playing. Be confident, take gigs, play em, be nervous and learn that you CAN do it. Besides, you don't need to worry about pulling off that flambazulladiddleegg19 lick, just keep 2 & 4 solid, deep and groovy!

Funny you mention it; I've had some really amazing drummers tell me that I'd be awesome if I just had more confidence. When I do that Drum-Off contest, I almost always ruin my solo, because I get so nervous that my hands start shaking and I can't remember my routine. It happened just last month: I stopped playing about 2/3 of the way through, because my brain just froze. You can hear it in my little video there. I just fall apart.

I'll try putting an ad on craigslist. I won't mention fusion or Latin jazz; I'll just mention that I'm a drummer and that I'm available.

What else should I write?
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:27 am

"I hate playing fills and idolize Phil Rudd..."

haha no, I dunno
rpc

Postby rpc » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:36 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:"I hate playing fills and idolize Phil Rudd..."

haha no, I dunno

Phil Rudd. Nice. I'll bet that'd actually work, too.

Should I post this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQFyVuPRJps A buddy of mine just put it up last night. The first 2:50 is of me, and the last 2:10 is of some other drummer. (I think he thought it was me playing on the last song). It's something, at least. I don't want to scare people away, though; I'm the single most uninteresting person on earth to look at when I play.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Just don't confuse lack of confidence and inexperience with a lack of talent. You definitely have the tools. Just get out there and get your butt kicked and most importantly, kick yourself in the butt! Play everything you can...there's nothing wrong with being mercenary at where you are in the game. Practice and listen to a lot of different stuff. And don't worry about what you look like when you play unless you get a gig with what I call a "dog and pony show" where the focus is on the visual first, music last. I'm probably more uninteresting to watch AND I'm old!!! Double whammy.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:03 pm

rpc wrote:P.S.

This is my dream gig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mkLoSqqvq8

Camilo has been my dream gig too for 2 decades!
He's my favourite artist. I've been looking for guys to play that style for years.
There's actually a long time HOD member who has a piano/bass/drum trio that plays lots of Camilo and composes in that style. He sent me their demo and it's great. Lucky guy!

At one point, me and my brother had prepared a repertoire of Camilo/Arturo/Paquito stuff with charts and all, ready to read for good musicians. To play that latin-fusion stuff you need good musicians, but the good ones are the busy ones. They always asked me if there were paying gigs already scheduled. That was when I was playing full-time. I just wanted to do this as an musical escape from all the pop/wedding/classic-rock/blues routine gigs. Few had that too desire it seemed.

Now I have a day job and a guit/bass/drums fusion trio with ex-full time musicians where I try to push some latin stuff. We give 3-4 shows/year (for the door of course...)

Fusion, from my experience, is mostly something you have the luxury to play when you got other sources of income.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:48 am

rpc wrote:P.S.

This is my dream gig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mkLoSqqvq8

Yeah man.

I dig.

Return to “Drumming Chat”