Oz Noy, Weckl & Darryl Jones

deseipel

Oz Noy, Weckl & Darryl Jones

Postby deseipel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Anyone go to the show in San Diego? I just got back and it was awesome. it was my first time seeing Weckl live and he didn't disappoint. Drum sound was great. They really nailed the tunes. Oz Noy has such a unique and rhythmic sound. There's really little that can be said about Weckl's playing that hasn't been said before. He has total command over his instrument. The ease at which he executes is something to behold. In a way, the Internet has ruined the live experience. I sorta felt like I'd already seen it. It's still just unbelievable how he plays. but with Youtube, its so easy to take it for granted. Anyway...

I need to buy Oz's albums, it's all good stuff and terribly original IMO.

I was sort of expecting that Dave hits really hard, but he didn't at all. His touch was just right. Dynamics = perfect. I saw the show at Anthology in San Diego and it appeared as if they filmed the whole thing (big screen behind with multiple camera angles), wish I had a copy of that...

It wasn't very crowded, in fact I got bumped up to a closer vantage point for free. Nice venue, I saw Steve Smith there last year (and he's playing there again in May). The cuisine was expensive: 50 bucks for a tenderlion plus two beers.
DSOP

Re: Oz Noy, Weckl & Darryl Jones

Postby DSOP » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:15 am

I saw this trio a year ago in LA. Really nice.

I want to pick up Noy's records too, but I'm not willing to pay more than $10 for a CD. I'd buy all of them if he'd offer some sort of package deal.

I really think it would go a long way to stem the illegal downloading/sharing of records if they were priced lower. $9.99 seems to be the magic number (in my head at least).
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:57 am

First time seeing Weck? Cool. I've seen that band with Weck and Vince, both great shows.
Weck does a pretty amazing job at "self mixing", he's got a wide range of dynamics and the volume he's playing at is always on-purpose. Not a lot of guys are like that.
AllenS

Postby AllenS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:59 am

Man, I'd love to go to the Santa Cruz or SF show....but I can't. :(
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:47 pm

They're scheduled for a date in Chicago in June...venue is still TBA...it's showing James Genus on bass for this show (according to Weckl's site). Can't wait. A lot of my guitar geek pals will be going. :D
Brett Borba

Postby Brett Borba » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Greetings, HOD. I don't post here much, but I love this forum and read it often -- what a great resource and community you guys have here. Thanks to Steve and all of you for that!

I recently moved out of San Diego and agree with desipel, while Anthology is a very nice venue for live jazz, the talent is typically hit and miss. 'Course every once in a while they'll book solid guys like Oz Noy and Pat Martino.

Caught Oz in Santa Cruz Monday night. Great show. My first time seeing Weckl in a band setting, too. Kuumbwa Jazz Club is very small, bare-bones venue ... folding chairs around the stage and small bar in the back ... which was kinda cool 'cause, at times, places like Yoshi's and Anthology can feel a bit stuffy (and pricey!). Weckl was firing, Oz was great, and Darryl Jones was amazing. For years I've loved Darryl's playing on this bootleg with Andy Summers and Dennis Chambers. Love his feel. I'm really happy I got to see him play live with Weckl.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:17 pm

I have my tix for the show and for DW's clinic the following night...I can't believe less than 30 bucks total! Both will be at Martyr's, excellent small venue in Chicago. Can't wait!
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Rhythmatist wrote:I have my tix for the show and for DW's clinic the following night...I can't believe less than 30 bucks total! Both will be at Martyr's, excellent small venue in Chicago. Can't wait!

Wow, nice deal! Enjoy.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Wow, what a sick show!!! These guys were on fire. Dave commented at his clinic last night that he considered the Sunday night show the best of the tour (I think it was the last as well). Victor Salazar of Vic's Drum Shop in Chicago hosted and provided all Dave's gear for the 2 nights...Oak Custom kit sounded massive!

It was evident that Dave and Oz had been working a lot together recently...the quirky tunes Oz writes were seamless. Just a fabulous show all the way around. Dave's clinic was a bit different from those I've seen in the past. He's really emphasizing the musical aspects of playing drums. Getting away from recommending rigid practice routines in favor of developing musicality. Yes, there's some discussion of technique but only as a means to an end...providing a rhythmic foundation for the rest of the band and to develop the abilities to apply the right tools in the proper context. Great stuff.

Return to “Drumming Chat”