Jojo Mayer

Paul Marangoni

Re: Jojo Mayer

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:07 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Not at all... I´m saying that back in the day everyone was playing Gadd or Weck licks, but you didn´t have the chance to hear it unless you were at the gig at the rehearsal space with them... Now it´s more obvious, but it´s always about "leaders" and "followers"... The ones with a strong and unique vision, and us, mere mortals... :)

You're probably right, drummers would have been copying each other way more back then if they had the same access to performances that we have now on the Internet.

But I wouldn't call Gadd and Weckl "back in the day". That was pretty much the beginning of the homogenizing of drums, especially after DCI put out those Gadd VHS tapes. I was referring to the time between the invention of the drums at the turn of the 20th century, to the end of the 70s. The musicians on recorded music had distinct personalities which came out of the speakers. That isn't the case anymore, aside from a few exceptions.

Sure, you had clones throughout history, but Simon became his own drummer, and so did Weckl.

In the seventies and eighties, you had Bozzio playing a complete set of rototoms, Bruford on Simmons, Collins with eight concert toms, Moon playing a million drums and no hi-hats, Bonham on a 26" bass drum, Tony on his yellow Gretsch tuned tighter than a frog's ass, and none of those guys played the same way, or had the same sound. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I don't think personalities are coming through as much anymore. It may not even be the drummers' fault either. Producers are probably mostly to blame, especially when they replace sounds and quantize performances.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:40 pm

In the seventies and eighties, you had Bozzio playing a complete set of rototoms, Bruford on Simmons, Collins with eight concert toms, Moon playing a million drums and no hi-hats, Bonham on a 26" bass drum, Tony on his yellow Gretsch tuned tighter than a frog's ass, and none of those guys played the same way, or had the same sound. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I don't think personalities are coming through as much anymore. It may not even be the drummers' fault either. Producers are probably mostly to blame, especially when they replace sounds and quantize performances.

Brilliant...agreed. I would add Bruford as a signature sound as well as Copeland. Jeff made a straight 8th note groove signature...more brilliant imo. Endless discussion...overall, yes, back in the day there was more signature, but it was also "back in the day" when the history was emerging and evolving so of course, more originality will take place. Same with bands...I mean Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, especially Sabbath was unlike anyone really. Talk about going against the grain. Stuff is dark today!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
chrishitsthings

Postby chrishitsthings » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:47 am

Niles

Postby Niles » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:00 pm

Nice t-shirt.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:27 pm

where to get this full show??? anything outside of Nerve and that electronic
...arrrr, crap. sorry, but I hate that stuff and largely see him wasting
phenomenal talent in one music hole.

This KILLS...the phrasing at 1:36 is just magic for me!

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:08 pm

Congrats to Jojo!
>>>

Terry Branam

Postby Terry Branam » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:20 pm

Just found out that I've got an article in this issue about Jojo breaking down a cool sticking that he uses if anyone wants to check it out. :D
Check out my app PERFECT RHYTHM on the App store!
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:41 pm

No drums no life, know drums know life...
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:10 am

"Jojo Mayer - Changing Time (Official Documentary Trailer)

The documentary project «Changing Time» about internationally acclaimed drummer Jojo Mayer and his band Nerve includes a series of short films, a concert film recording and a full-length documentary. Conceived as a kaleidoscope of perspectives, it explores Jojo Mayer’s relentless search for creative – as opposed to re-creative – artistic expression in the time we live in.

Written and directed by Alexis Amitirigala
Filmed by Sergio Cassini
Edited by Nicole Hussy
Nerve mixed by John Davis
Produced by Swiss Radio and Television
© SRF (2016)

Documentary Premiere / Nerve Live Concert / After Party:
28 September 2016
Kaufleuten
Zurich (Switzerland)

SRF TV Premiere scheduled for October 2016"

Niles

Postby Niles » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:51 pm

Love those Me’Shell clips - those were the days when basically the Screaming Headless Torsos were her hack up band... I remember seeing a double bill of her and the Torsos as the warm up. They went bananas during the Torso set, then played nothing but deep grooves when they were playing behind Me’Shell. They could switch gears like that...

Return to “Drumming Chat”