Jojo Mayer

DeeP_FRieD

Re: Jojo Mayer

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:25 am

thewikiman wrote:
Avi_drums wrote:Some killer stuff here:

You get the sense this is a guy pushing new ideas, not resting on laurels.

For me he's pushing new ideas into a very much old ideas musical format... The playing and technique is insane but the musical platform via which it is expressed is resting on the same drum'n'bass laurels it has always rested on. Every Jojo improv is like listening in on a Squarepusher jam session circa 1997.

It's not like drum'n'bass itself hasn't moved on in that time, it very much has - and someone like Anders Meinhardt has moved with it.

I used to be really into DJ culture and it annoyed me, as a musician, that all the talent of the top scratch artists was rarely expressed in a musical format that was interesting to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time...

I have to disagree.

In an Aesthetic sense maybe, but I've extensively watched both players.

Anders has that left foot a 16th note off thing and he's incredible tight and through-composed. His backing tracks are more current sounding.

Jojo uses a live group and, and his ideas have more rhythmic complexity in a compositional sense. Just scope is left foot splashes in the beginning. Meinhardt never ventures out of simple phrase marking with that voice, and Jojo's performance then proceeds to go into even deeper levels of pure drumming stuff.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:47 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:
thewikiman wrote:

For me he's pushing new ideas into a very much old ideas musical format... The playing and technique is insane but the musical platform via which it is expressed is resting on the same drum'n'bass laurels it has always rested on. Every Jojo improv is like listening in on a Squarepusher jam session circa 1997.

It's not like drum'n'bass itself hasn't moved on in that time, it very much has - and someone like Anders Meinhardt has moved with it.

I used to be really into DJ culture and it annoyed me, as a musician, that all the talent of the top scratch artists was rarely expressed in a musical format that was interesting to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time...

I have to disagree.

In an Aesthetic sense maybe, but I've extensively watched both players.

Anders has that left foot a 16th note off thing and he's incredible tight and through-composed. His backing tracks are more current sounding.

Jojo uses a live group and, and his ideas have more rhythmic complexity in a compositional sense. Just scope is left foot splashes in the beginning. Meinhardt never ventures out of simple phrase marking with that voice, and Jojo's performance then proceeds to go into even deeper levels of pure drumming stuff.

Yeah, man, I'm with you on this. Some guys can come up with snappy statements in between ordinary drummer drivel. Jojo composes essays with his playing. It's more than a cool idea here and there -- it's how he communicates them in these compounded phrasings that seem strung together from the same thought, you'd swear he worked it all out before he sat down. I've only seen one YT video of Anders, but it was nothing like this, and I didn't see anything that would inspire me to watch him again. Maybe what Anders was playing was more applicable to that strain of of the genre, but I don't think Jojo tries very hard to fit. I think he tries very hard to do his thing in a genre that's not really known for traditional stage players.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:37 am

I think they'd both say that Jojo was inspired by Jungle, and Anders by Drum 'n Bass and Garage.
F.U.K.T: Anders' band, is also a live unit with keys, bass and sometimes vocals, so that's not the big difference between them.
It's in the very specifics of those sub-genres. Some of those differences are lost on me, but I know they exist.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:58 am

thewikiman wrote:

I hear great phrasing and execution independent of any specific genre. I'd love to hear Jojo with someone like Jeff Lorber.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:38 am

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:59 am

After seeing Amon Tobin's ISAM show one night when I was in NYC, I rushed back to Mercury Lounge and caught Jojo and Nerve the very same night.

Amazing night.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:08 pm

Avi_drums wrote:
thewikiman wrote:

I hear great phrasing and execution independent of any specific genre. I'd love to hear Jojo with someone like Jeff Lorber.

UGH. That would be horrible, IMO. Something aesthetically doesn't settle with me with Jojo and I think it's the stick he uses. It's a really bizarre stick that's not even the length of a 7A. That may give him that distinctive sound but it's one I don't care for, musically speaking.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:51 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:
Avi_drums wrote:

UGH. That would be horrible, IMO. Something aesthetically doesn't settle with me with Jojo and I think it's the stick he uses. It's a really bizarre stick that's not even the length of a 7A. That may give him that distinctive sound but it's one I don't care for, musically speaking.

Like they say, opinions are like assholes...and if you don't dig the guys' sound to begin with...

Those who have seen Lorber stretch out with Novak and Bromberg live might know what I'm talkin' about.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Avi_drums wrote:
gretsch-o-rama wrote:

Like they say, opinions are like assholes...and if you don't dig the guys' sound to begin with...

Those who have seen Lorber stretch out with Novak and Bromberg live might know what I'm talkin' about.

How diplomatic of you. Jesus.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:05 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”