Mr. Gadd

Rhythmatist

Re: Mr. Gadd

Postby Rhythmatist » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:29 pm

Had we not had Gadd...our heroes would not sound like they do today. So much of what Vinnie and Dave evolved into came directly from Gadd's influence...and just about everyone else for that matter. Gadd had that organic thing that I hear in Elvin and Tony's playing. My fave recording is and always will be Chick's "Three Quartets."

I still hear Colaiuta, Weckl, Novak, Ersko, Gavin and everyone under the sun quoting the Gadd Ratamacue!!! Yeah, that's right...you do it too don'cha? C'mon, fess-up!!! It's the most imitated drum lick since the "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" lick.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Rhythmatist wrote:I still hear Colaiuta, Weckl, Novak, Ersko, Gavin and everyone under the sun quoting the Gadd Ratamacue!!!

I don't hear it from Jeff Watts or Neil Peart, and I never heard it from Tony, Jack, or Roy.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu May 01, 2014 3:35 pm

I used to listen to Friends every night while I fell asleep for more than a few times. There is such GREAT drumming all over that record...wow.

And of course it's on youtube.

I found it again last night and that is my favorite Steve Gadd recording, with Three Quartets second, I listened to that one falling asleep many times too.

That first track, kills me.

There were a lot of guys I remember seeing, and taking lessons from especially at West Virginia U, when I was in high school in the early 80s that were just ripping him off, literally.

You can understand why the more you play the instrument. He had a ton of intellectual heft, and badass groove.
french toast

Postby french toast » Mon May 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Tom Scott' Apple Juice is awesome...
Thanks for the vid...
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue May 06, 2014 5:38 am

I'd love to hear Gadd play "Seventeens" by Lionel Lueke that Herbie Hancock plays live now a days...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:44 pm

Nice version... His pocket is intact!
Niles

Postby Niles » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:23 am

Check out how Steve's parts lift this song - the transition at 3:30 - awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BYb3u0aZVY
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:02 am

Niles wrote:the transition at 3:30

That was fantastic...WOW!!!
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:28 pm

That clip playing the ABBA song was pretty cool.

Country Road is absolutely amazing. Carlos Vega also did a really great job playing that song.

Check out Gadd's bass drum. Good lord he's good:

Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:49 am

I got into Gadd late in my drumming life, to my peril.... but I'm so glad he is there now. I started off like maybe many of us did, with the rock stuff, Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland, John Bonham etc etc. I got into jazz and fusion when I heard Billy Cobham and then Weckl...continued from there. Listening to that James Taylor diddy with Gadd reminds me once again why I LOVE his playing so much. I like he plays with balls. Still to this day, he plays with balls and looks like he loves what he is doing. His feel is really unbelievable. I always catch myself thinking "that's how I want my feel to feel" It's perfect. Right "in there". Of course I love his signature stuff, but man that feel is something else. I've said it here before...The Buddy Rich Memorial thing with Gadd Weck and Vinnie.....Gadd was just the coolest out of them all. I get chills when I watch that thing and its because of Gadd. Vinnie? oh yes, wow!! Weckl? couldn't hear him but I did like how he started it off - so tastey. Gadd?? the coolest out of them all. Layed it down hard. Long live Steve Gadd. Im going to watch it again right now!

Return to “Drumming Chat”