Zappa plays Zappa

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Zappa plays Zappa

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 am

I posted a clip from this DVD in the last weekend chatty that I really enjoyed. I've never been into the Frank stuff enough to listen to it regularly, I just did the "research" but it never got it's hooks in me. Since I saw the youtube clip I thought about getting the DVD, so last night, I bought it at Best Buy. I was surprised they had it.

Normally these days I watch TV with a laptop close by, and watching things that I'm not really into lasts about 5 minutes. Then I'm done.

I watched the whole show. It's 2 full discs.

Maybe it was the renewed presentation, I think the dated production and overall sound of the Frank stuff might be a barrier for me in a small way. Maybe seeing the stuff helps too, as opposed to just listening. But I found myself enjoying the music a lot. Joe Travers has a fantastic feel which makes the stuff very listen-able. And just when things get a little too silly, or repetitive, the song will go into some Zappa odd grouping/odd meter figure, or solo section to keep it interesting. There's just enough of the odd stuff to keep it busy. It never chaffed too badly (meaning there's just TOO MUCH AT ONE TIME, like Dream Theater can be in the middle of their tunes.

The contrast of amazing musicianship and humor I found to be super interesting. The humorous tones, as well as the mellow demeanor of Dweezil and other band members is almost deceptive. At a glance one would have no idea that these guys are some of the best musicians in the world. They're up there doing their thing, calm and cool. Then they bust into a 19/16 vamp with runs in the middle of it. It's ker-raze-ee.

Bozzio comes out and plays with the band a lot, even sings. He is an amazing musician, I just can't get into the sound of his drums and cymbals. They're great when he's soloing, but playing along with a band, all his sounds are small and short so it's hard to get any "rock n roll energy". As the band would build into a huge climactic solo, or chorus, Terry's bashing away on his cymbals and they all go Ch...CH...CH CH CH . It just doesn't work. Again, amazing in his own right however. Steve Vai is probably my favorite rock guitarist too, the man just oozes music. It's ridiculous.

BTW Los Angeles folks, these guys are playing Hollywood December 3rd and 4th:
http://themusicboxevents.com/?m=201012

Check out some youtube clips of this show but I would encourage supporting this project if you like it.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... pa&x=0&y=0
Phil T.

Re: Zappa plays Zappa

Postby Phil T. » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:59 pm

I think Zappa is just brilliant. Glad you found an entry point into that world. If the studio ablums don't do it, you might look for live versions of the material that interests you. FZ put out lots and lots of live stuff, from "Roxy & Elsewhere" to "Live in New York" to the "You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore" series. In performance the music breathes in a way the studio albums sometimes only hint at.

I need to check out this DVD.
Bat71

Postby Bat71 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:12 am

This is exceptional! Joe Travers fits in perfectly.

That definitely goes on my Xmas list. :mrgreen:
BennyAndTheSkins

Postby BennyAndTheSkins » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:37 am

Saw them this summer in Raleigh, at Lincoln Theatre. They killed. Their Mallet player, Billy Hulting, is amazing.....
Joe played great, and I like his approach too..

Dweezil is a great ambassador of his Dad's musical legacy.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:31 am

willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:14 am

Steve- I'm down to go to that show in December. Maybe we can put together a hang with some of the other cats in the area.

I've always loved Zappa's stuff. Joe's Garage and the Apostrophe album are favorites of mine.
Got Blushda?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:30 am

Sorry Willy, Steve's post is from three years ago.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:33 am

Apostrophe is a must have and it's very accessible, too.

Can be enjoyed by girlfriends and girlfriend's friends.
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:04 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:Sorry Willy, Steve's post is from three years ago.

:| :-|

Yikes. I need more coffee. Happy Friday.
Got Blushda?
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Its ok if the post is old!!!! I still love this band.
Plus I have a ticket to the December show already!! =)

Since this post I bought the live recording "Return of the son of a *****. It's one of the best live albums I've ever heard. I hung with Joe at a zildjian event months ago and totally geeked out with him. I was thrilled.

Return to “Drumming Chat”