NRA Life Member
Paul Marangoni

Re: Zappa plays Zappa

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:13 pm

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:33 pm

Sometimes I get the sense that Frank's abilities are matched only by his frustration with people/society/the-system. A lot of his interviews have that "Dad knows best" kind of indignation but I think he really does in his case.
Zooming out I suppose it's the nature of one being ahead of their time. They have to wait for folks to catch up.
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Thanks for posting that, Paul!
Got Blushda?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:35 pm

This is really good too!
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:31 pm

lol I love that for Zappa, midgets are the apex of muisc videos of the 1980's. Priceless.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:44 pm

Sometimes I get the sense that Frank's abilities are matched only by his frustration with people/society/the-system. A lot of his interviews have that "Dad knows best" kind of indignation but I think he really does in his case.
Zooming out I suppose it's the nature of one being ahead of their time. They have to wait for folks to catch up.

I am more interested in Frank the MAN than musician. I went on a Youtube adventure and enjoyed his interviews,
especially the Crossfire in '86. Than, I went after the "....on Frank" by fellow musicians. Love stories ala Vinnie
playing on the walls of the hotel from a roadie on tour who thought he was nuts. If that's nuts, I'm a nut.

Frank as a kid going on Steve Allen playing a bike! Priceless. Also caught a Google book bio on Frank...very interesting
read. Didn't know he grew up in Lancaster, CA. If there was ever a place where boredom produces creativity,
Lancaster is that place1

My favorite int was in '84 or so from an MTV female deejay or something. It is timeless. Frank is not putting on the
game face for the camera. If he didn't want to answer, he did not. If he made her feel uncomfortable, so be it.
It was real and very honest. I agree w/Steve here...FZ was cut from a mold of intelligence that said, "I am not
interested in money and fame per se...I want to explore this thing called life and let it take me where it will."
Those types of personalities will always go against the grain and tho most of us start off this way, we tend to
grow out of it. Frank did not...and for me, that is why the man interests me so much. He made enough dough
along the way to fuel this desire, but the Letterman int in '86 showed me he would also put it all on the line
to go for what he believed in as well.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:06 pm

Not sure if you noticed the MTV interview you were referring to is 5 posts up...I was referencing the midgets to which he refers.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:37 am

Funny none of the Cali guys mentioned this....I dig Joe

When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:03 am

Thursday 2/19 at the Potato in LA - Joe's new Zappa plays Zappa spin-off called YOGURT. Joe and friends playing Zappa music with several ZPZ members. I'm planning on going.

Return to “Drumming Chat”