Official Virgil Donati thread

Pocketplayer

Re: Official Virgil Donati thread

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Drums above @ 4:58 sound pretty smokin hot (BD was warm and deep)...i wish Virg would play pocket more like in the above...
lock into a groove...that ride was amazing!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:04 am

Here's a preview of a new track, soon to be released by French guitarist Renaud Louis-Servais:
The fill at 0:24 is pretty neat :shock:

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:53 am

Here's the entire track:

:)
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:55 pm

From rehearsals. Mental stuff. And so different from other drummers' music.

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:52 am

Sounds as Virgil as always to me... ;)
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:44 am

Kind of figured that's what would happen...more or less nothing as far as his sound. I think we try to achieve the sound that's in our head - this can change slightly over the years, but ultimately we sound the same - even with different equipment. Equipment is part of the equation in regards to our sound, but our hands are a big factor. I know when Im playing someone elses kit, Im trying to "extract" a sound the best I can. I don't know, after all these years of playing, I still know and like that sound thats in my head...hasnt changed much. A guy that has switched companies a lot over the years is George Borlai, and to me, there is not a huge difference in his sound when he plays. I suspect he tunes a certain way, according to his sound that is in his head. No matter what, you want that sound, or decay in your toms or "thump" or whatever.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:58 am

Gear today is such a minimal part of someone's sound because the quality of gear is consistently good across brands and lines. If you have a sound, that sound is going to carry to anything you hit. A discerning ear can detect some differences, sure, but if you're listening to the guy play you're not attuned so much to what he's using unless it's very good or very bad. And very bad rarely happens. Consequently, anything within a normal curve is just about everything, no matter how much the companies would like to convince you otherwise.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:27 pm

IsYourTeacher could turn out to be a cool app

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:02 pm

A lot of fun times were being had by Virgil and the boys on this recent European tour:

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:17 pm

Saw Vigril with Holdsworth tonight and it was amazing. Crowd was nuts and into it. Jimmy H was off the chain good. Band sounded amazing. Vigril did his thing and was lights out. Got to chat with him a few times throughout the night. New music from him coming soon. Seeing him live is drastically different than seeing him in YouTube videos. Alan, Vrigil and Jimmy are beyond seasoned warriors. It's refreshing to experience amazing musicaniship. Vigril is in shape. Takes care of himself. Hope they come back soon. Nothing like seeing a 68 year old guitarist light it up.

Return to “Drumming Chat”