Official Virgil Donati thread

electrizer

Re: Official Virgil Donati thread

Postby electrizer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:34 am

Morgenthaler wrote:There are no new OTV releases on the way but there are 2 new Virgil solo albums in the pipeline.
While I am not a SHT fan I enjoy listening to the Kiko Loureiro album actually.

Just because you are pushing technical and conceptual boundaries doesn't mean you are
popular in a broader term of the word. Many confuse those concepts. It isn't the best
singers in the world who win tv reality shows.

I think it's very positive to see Virgil tour extensively with Holdsworth and continue to
do his own stuff too.

I get you completely, but it's not popularity I mean here but his capabilities and how he could put them to much better use in gigs that are more demanding, and not necessarily wide-known (e.g. Holdsworth, which is nice).

Can you tell us a bit more about Virgil's upcoming solo releases? I'm actually very happy that he's putting out something new himself. Is it going to be something along Stretch's line or more like Just Add Water?
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:02 pm

electrizer wrote:
Can you tell us a bit more about Virgil's upcoming solo releases? I'm actually very happy that he's putting out something new himself. Is it going to be something along Stretch's line or more like Just Add Water?

Neither. One of them is progressive fusion á la OTV or Planet X and the other is pieces for symphonic
orchestra and drums. More here (on page 28) http://issuu.com/furstmedia/docs/mixdow ... lor#222222
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:00 am

The video I posted a few days ago was part two of the rehearsals. Here's part one:

percusski

Postby percusski » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:36 am

These rehearsal vids are some of the best examples of Virgil's playing i've seen, he know the music inside out and it shows!!!
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:45 am

I recently watched the 'Steve Vai live at the Astoria London' DVD which has Virgil and Billy Sheehan. Great super high quality live action. If you can get past the guitar show Virgil plays some really cool stuff!
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Those rehearsal clips are ridiculous. :shock:
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:12 pm

A few quite heavy clips from the upcoming Vivien Lalu album featuring Virgil. Some nice details here and there:

http://soundcloud.com/vivienlalu/atomic-ark-recordings
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 am

Except for the two power fills at 3:33 and 3:44 this is a pretty straight ahead rock track
from Virgil's time with Southern Sons. Also, I always enjoyed the very 90s bridge/guitar solo from ca. 2:35
to ca. 3:15

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:42 am

After 16 years of friendship, 100s of hours of listening to his music and countless times of seeing him play live around Europe, it's still amazing to experience Virgil play. The effort, the output and the originality is mind boggling to this day. We hung out with Allan, Anthony and the rest of the crew here in Copenhagen yesterday, and I brought some friends to see the show. I always love watching people seeing and hearing Virgil *live* for the first time :shock:

If you haven't yet, the trio with Allan Holdsworth and Anthony Crawford is a great place to start. It's a much better match than
I'd ever imagined. They knock your socks off.

Btw, I just posted this old clip from the moonbabies session at Simon's place in L.A. A rare look behind the scenes
of the guys listening back to Virgil's first take of 'Ignotus Per Ignotium'.

Edit: The following video is added after Josiah's reply - just so it's clear that he's commenting on the studio video.
This one features an ambient hall sound, but some intense playing towards the end. The thing that happens towards
the end, where Allan goes way off amused Virgil immensely. He did that a few times when they played here 2 nights ago.

Last edited by Morgenthaler on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:46 pm

That video was REALLY cool to watch! Thanks!

I love the way that Virgil's ideas come out on the kit, he has something special, VERY unique inside him. He must hear some very very creative stuff when he's listening to music, and my guess is he's "toning it down" a bit for gigs.

He just seems like the most easy going dude too, totally dedicated to the music and playing.

*I love that Simon's 'place' has industrial weight doors. I'd love to have that level of recording at home. Someday...

Return to “Drumming Chat”