Official Virgil Donati thread

Paul Marangoni

Re: Official Virgil Donati thread

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:09 pm

electrizer wrote:Paul, you must be fun at parties...

The party's over thanks to no one putting their money where their "likes" are.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:11 pm

I generally agree with Paul on the subject of pay to listen...after ALL the mindless discussion
it boils down to someone who has spent their life working on a craft in an industry that
is not only the most competitive, but difficult as well. I purchased Moonbabies because I liked
the samples as well as On the Virg and other Planet X recordings. Way back, Amazon starting offering
30 second samples of songs which I then decided to buy or not...offering used CD's was also
available. Same with books. It is UNREAL the quality of books you can buy for 99 cents!
For better or worse, buying used copies of something has always been around.

Long way around to saying YES I do purchase when I like something...but to be perfectly
honest I am not a big prog rock guy and will not purchase IceFish...I can like something
but I usually only purchase an item (outside of a used book) for repeated listening/viewing
and this is not on that list unless I was to gift it to a friend...and that friend did not like
it. More truth be told, I do not listen to music like I used to...this is just me, but there was
a "cap" that happened years ago when it all blended together...IceFish does not sound better
than OTV did over 15 years ago! Same with "action movies"--you could not pay me to see a
Fast & Furious CGI wankfest movie or any superhero movie or any Harry Potter movie...

HOWEVER...I consider purchasing product to support an artist walking by faith that they
actually get paid when I pay to play! That I am not sure about tho...the business side of things
is complex ala 30 Sec to Mars doc which shed serious light on being a rock star!

Dang...I guess I'm not too fun at parties either!

On Virg's snare Morg...I like it! Interested more in your thots an on the mix.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:24 am

Pocketplayer wrote:
On Virg's snare Morg...I like it! Interested more in your thots an on the mix.

I like it, its sound profile and tuning, but the production doesn't allow for real appreciation of
Virgil's physical presence in his backbeat. Do I make sense? :)

Here's an example of where I think the sound mix allows for that physical element to shine:

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:51 am

I hear ya Pocketplayer. As for Virgil Donati, I love a lot of his playing but don't care for most of the music he is generally involved with. There were a few snippets of him playing a more "jazz" approach last year and I quite liked what that sounded like, but I'm sure it was pretty boring for him. He needs to spread his wings and challenge himself at all times, so I can appreciate that he tends to get involved with more "statistically dense" compositions. I only regret not getting a chance to see him live with Allan Holdsworth. He was playing very interesting stuff with Allan.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:55 am

"I like it, its sound profile and tuning, but the production doesn't allow for real appreciation of
Virgil's physical presence in his backbeat. Do I make sense?"

No...yes...? I do like the mix and the song Renaissance a lot! I hear a more open production
with the snare and describing a recording with "physical presence" very interesting. So, yes,
I think I get what you mean and appreciate this more consciously. It is fascinating how many
layers there are to "feeling" something. I wonder what Virg thought after the IceFish mix?
Maybe he was off to another project?
Last edited by Pocketplayer on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Anyone in L.A. - I'd check this out tonight and tomorrow night.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:30 am

I'm enjoying the IceFish album a lot.

The track 'The Pieces' reminds me of Tambu/Mindfields era Toto with a heavier edge.
The chorus is very Lukather'esque, as is Marco's guitar playing. I bet he holds Luke in high regard - many
of Marco's choices seem like hat tips to Luke.

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:20 pm

I do like that cut a lot actually. Does VD do the studio work and they have a touring drummer?
Virg only has so many lives right?
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 pm

Virg is full on invested in this :)

And I think he has around 34 hours in a day, 9 days in a week and 65 weeks in a year.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:04 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”