Official Virgil Donati thread

Morgenthaler

Re: Official Virgil Donati thread

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:35 pm

samnmax203 wrote:
Morgenthaler wrote:From his current tour:

This song kicks so much ass! When I first heard the album this is the song that I kept going back to again and again. I'm so glad to find a video of a performance on the interwebs!

Found out 3 days ago that he'll be in town tomorrow; Jacksonville, Fl of all places! Needless to say, ticket has been bought. Anyone familiar with recording (a or v) policy with Virgil or is it venue specific?

So hyped to see him in person!

Glad you like it. Regarding a recording policy: Don't. Virgil does not approve of anyone bootlegging his performances and prefers to push out a lot of recordings of live performances that he recorded himself.
Subscribe to his YouTube channel and Like him on Facebook, and you'll get a decent share of free videos. Enjoy the show!

https://www.youtube.com/user/virgildonaticom
https://www.facebook.com/virgildonati
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:12 pm

Soundcheck & cheesecake: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152610304732442
(link to Virgil's Facebook Page)
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:37 am

Saw Virg and the guys in Atlanta Monday. Beautiful playing. Anthony Crawford is insane! Going to Nashville Friday to see them again.
samnmax203

Postby samnmax203 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:
Glad you like it. Regarding a recording policy: Don't. Virgil does not approve of anyone bootlegging his performances and prefers to push out a lot of recordings of live performances that he recorded himself.
Subscribe to his YouTube channel and Like him on Facebook, and you'll get a decent share of free videos. Enjoy the show!

https://www.youtube.com/user/virgildonaticom
https://www.facebook.com/virgildonati

Thanks for the head's up!

His performance was obviously incredible. Such power, control, and dynamics. I must say however, I was caught off guard by his pocket; I couldn't help but nod along with how natural and groovy he made both the odd-time and "standard" grooves. I always have had such respect for the guy and his dedication, but being able to witness in person just further solidifies it.

After I got off work I was picking up some tasty pizza from the local place near the venue (Moon Riverrrrrrrr) and looked to my right to see the whole band (minus VD) waiting and chilling. Great guys and phenomenal players in their own right. The venue had all of the seats filled, but I wish more people had known and come out to see such a depth of talent in J-ville.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:56 pm

Saw the band in San Pedro a few weeks back. Cool venue. Better than the spud. You can bring your own food and drink in. Boom. Band was amazing. Virgil was wow all night. Good times.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 pm

I'm so glad to see the great reviews coming in, here, there and everywhere.

Man, I so would like to see this unit live. I saw Virg and Crawford with Holdsworth a few times and they kicked amazing butt,
but this unit is really strong too.

Also, the Live On The Virg DVD/VOD is something really special. That band is still my all time fav unit where Virgil's abilities
shine the brightest.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:13 am

Virgil talking about getting started and sharing bits of his history in music, and also what he'll
bring to the is_your_teacher ecosystem:

Also, for you L.A. cats, Virgil is playing with Holdsworth later in August:

percusski

Postby percusski » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:59 am

Whether Virgil's playing is to your taste you can't deny the dedication and constant forward motion is inspirational, and he seems like a guy who makes his own luck. Great stuff!
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Here are some lighthearted funny clips from the In This Life US tour. If nothing else, the guys seem to be having a lot of fun.
The Water On The Brain clips sound stupid tight. Lots of cheesecake and women (men) ;)

electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:Here are some lighthearted funny clips from the In This Life US tour. If nothing else, the guys seem to be having a lot of fun.
The Water On The Brain clips sound stupid tight. Lots of cheesecake and women (men) ;)

Don't know where Virgil sources those guys from but it's just a pleasure listening to that. With every project I see new faces and they just rock it!

Return to “Drumming Chat”