Official Virgil Donati thread

Morgenthaler

Re: Official Virgil Donati thread

Postby Morgenthaler » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:02 am

Here's a few fresh clips from the current Holdsworth trio tour

electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:46 am

Morgenthaler wrote:Here's a few fresh clips from the current Holdsworth trio tour

Virgil's groove in this clip is nothing short of godly, really amazing! But God be my witness I will never understand Holdswort's playing. Made me stop the clip after the 1:50 mark. My impression was that Planet X's Quantum was also affected by that, sadly. Heard the rumor that for the next PX album Tony MacAlpine will be back on the guitar, is that true Jeppe?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:45 am

Has anyone here played Virgil's signature Pearl snare drum? It's supposed to have a snare bed with a straight edge. I'm curious to know how it sounds/feels/plays.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:21 am

Morgenthaler wrote:Here's a few fresh clips from the current Holdsworth trio tour

Wow... Needed that... I am getting to enjoy Virgil's "band-context" playing more and more recently.... Wrexcellent one, thanks!!!
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:28 am

Pulled out this CD once again.. It had been a while.. Joel Hoekstra's "The Moon Is Falling"... Virgil's groove is displayed on this album...

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:25 am

electrizer wrote:

Virgil's groove in this clip is nothing short of godly, really amazing! But God be my witness I will never understand Holdswort's playing. Made me stop the clip after the 1:50 mark. My impression was that Planet X's Quantum was also affected by that, sadly. Heard the rumor that for the next PX album Tony MacAlpine will be back on the guitar, is that true Jeppe?

I think any news regarding an upcoming Planet X album should be taken with a grain of salt. Personally I love Allan's unique playing
but I get why it's not for all.

BTW, my favorite PX crew is Virg, Derek, Jimmy Johnson, Brett Garsed.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:18 pm

SO, this is a preview of Virgil's next studio album 'In This Life'. More on this when a release date approaches,
but there sure is some amazing stuff on there :shock:

It will be featuring Alex Argento, Marco Sfogli, Doug Shreeve, Anthony Crawford, Tom Kennedy, Dennis Hamm,
Jeff Babko, Evan Marien, Rafael Moreira, and many others...

http://soundcloud.com/virgil_donati/vir ... is-life-cd

EDIT: AND here is the second set of highlights from The Netherlands:

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Allan Holdsworth Band Rehearsal footage.
LOL - Dennis Hamm eats this stuff for breakfast - almost literally.
Virgil speaks so highly of him.

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:33 pm

A clip from yesterday's clinic in Netherlands along with an update from the Awesome/Yay For Me Department.
First the clip (obviously the bass drum disappeared from the mix, but there are some nice close-up shots of Virg in action)

Then the update from the Awesome/Yay For Me Department 8-)

Last month when Virgil was in town, we hung out with my cousin Lars, who's an award-winning architect.
The following day I showed some of his work to Virgil, who instantly fell in love with Lars's amazing drawings.
To cut a long story short, Lars is hard at work creating the artwork for Virgil's upcoming solo album.

I manage the process and am consequently deeply involved in this project. It is quite an amazing experience to bring
together friends and family in a project revolving around great music (there's an album preview a few posts back)
I'll have much more on this soon, here are a few snapshots from one of our (many) nights, fueled by red wine and coffee (fresh POOOTS)

Last edited by Morgenthaler on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
percusski

Postby percusski » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:59 am

The clinic track was excellent!

Return to “Drumming Chat”