Meet the new boss

deseipel

Meet the new boss

Postby deseipel » Fri May 11, 2012 9:02 pm

this has probably been beat to death on here, but this article brings some fresh perspective. In short, being a musician is now worse than it was prior to the Internet file sharing thing. Why? The old 'boss' took a little too much from the artist. The 'new boss' takes everything, all of it.

read this article, and then sit back and realize, 'Fuck, it was better with 3 or 4 major labels'. Back then a contract was the goal, now it's fucking page views.

http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/meet-the-new-boss-worse-than-the-old-boss-full-post/
DSOP

Re: Meet the new boss

Postby DSOP » Fri May 11, 2012 10:05 pm

That is fucking amazing. Thank you!
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Sat May 12, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks for posting.
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Sat May 12, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks, a great read.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sat May 12, 2012 9:01 am

Interesting read. Not sure if I agree with it though.

My original band started 1 year ago. We play big shows, have gotten huge gigs via the internet, reverbnation, facebook, etc plus our own site. With the exception of hosting our www. everything is free. And we get a TON of people out to shows from facebook, it's awesome incredibly demographic specific advertising. And it's free again.
Yes all these sites are inundated from advertisements - so is the freeway. You aren't making Lamar advertising money by using the freeway are you? Even though people pay Lamar huge sums of money to advertise on that exact thing you are using.

If it wasn't for apple, facebook, reverbnation, mobil apps, qr codes, etc I highly doubt we would have been able to reach out to nearly as many people, so specifically in our region and put music in their hands nearly instantly.
The pay off is good crowds. People who buy the CD - even after telling us they already have it digitally. The ability to reach out to fans, for free, nearly instantly, with some very demographic specific advertising is awesome. If we make faceyspace a little cash from their ad's, so be it. It doesn't take a dime out of our pockets and actually makes us money.

If you want to talk about monopolies in the music industry. Start with the big one that hasn't changed, TicketMaster.
Manu

Postby Manu » Sat May 12, 2012 10:35 am

Very enlightening, I think the conclusion is very clear, and I happen to agree from personal experience. Taking away the factor of financing content creation is enough to take away any benefit the digital distribution might be argued to bring.

I would just do a quick text edition to that one, some mistakes were actually annoying.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat May 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Yup things change. Nothing new to read hear. Yawn.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Sun May 13, 2012 6:11 pm

I think what's 'new' for me is that someone actually did the number crunching and proved what a lot of musicians were thinking: this isn't so great compared to the way it used to be. I think it's easy to think "change or die", but it doesn't make it any easier if you personally remember how it used to be. it's like telling someone they can only eat mcdonalds if they're trying to lose weight. If you were never a stakeholder in the industry prior to file sharing, then you don't know any different. And I consider that perspective handicapped. Granted, there's no changing the Internet, but the message here is clear: all the great things that the Internet offers, aren't what they appear to be. And if it's working for you, then great. But it's a mistake to just generalize this as a change that is no big deal. If this is any indication of what's to come, then we all had better prepare for it. It seems like musicians seem to get less and less and less of what they should be getting. If that change doesn't bother you or tell you something, ...I would hope you have a solid plan for the future, along with plan B, plan C and so on.

I can't personally dismiss this as just another change to the industry. That's just me though.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun May 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Just another case of corporate greed ignoring the law and using its propoganda muscle to convince idiots everywhere that what its doing is noble.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Mon May 14, 2012 9:03 am

deseipel wrote:I think what's 'new' for me is that someone actually did the number crunching and proved what a lot of musicians were thinking: this isn't so great compared to the way it used to be.

I didn't see any actual numbers or specific examples of bands, any kind of study following any bands or artists.

It's just some guys rantings on the industry, and that's what his job is to do.

If you want to crunch numbers, and I'm sure they could be looked up, it seems to me more bands are doing better now then ever before, and doing it independently of corporate backing.

Return to “Drumming Chat”