Meet the new boss

AllenS

Re: Meet the new boss

Postby AllenS » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:14 am

Man, my generation (Millenials/Generation Y) is responsible for a lot of the illegal downloading that threatens the music industry (and other creative industries as well)...and I hate that fact.

It's understandable though, if in a sad way: we've grown up right as the Internet has exploded in mass consumer use, and the companies that have been part of that (Apple, Google, Microsoft, Youtube, Facebook, and many others) are viewed as visionaries and hip pioneers by our generation, if not outright heroes. Mark Zuckerberg has more credibility with many in my generation than other businesses, the U.S. government, and even our own parents.

Part of the issue, though, is that illegal downloading is popular with my generation. And it's popular, because it's easy. And it's easy, because governments in general do not enforce already on their books in regards to piracy. Combine that with the moral justifications of piracy offered by the IT industry (which many in my generation look to for wisdom), and the ease of using the Internet for piracy, and you have a mass culture that glorifies illegal and immoral activities (like piracy).

I think for too many in my generation, the IT propaganda has become gospel. Therefore, for piracy to end (or to be cut down drastically, at least), IT companies should be subject to greater regulation and criminal penalties for distributing illegal content. Make it harder and costlier to steal, and the stealing will go down.

My $0.02.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:22 am

AllenS wrote: for piracy to end (or to be cut down drastically, at least), IT companies should be subject to greater regulation and criminal penalties for distributing illegal content. Make it harder and costlier to steal, and the stealing will go down.

My $0.02.

Thank you. Your two cents is worth a trillion dollars.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Thats opening the door, which will eventually open, to more bullshit than you want.

If you want someone monitoring your internet traffic, youll get it.

The TSA works good huh! ;0)

I would rather like a crypto key that you buy to listen to the music.

To me, that seems more flexible.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Cryptography can be defeated. Until the big players, like Google, Apple, etc., are forced to change their ways, things will just get worse. As for Internet traffic being monitored, you're fooling yourself if you think that's not already happening.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8267142.stm
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:15 pm

I know exactly whats happening now, the difference being that it will be legal.
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Here's an interesting and somewhat related artcle on streaming and royalties...

Making Cents

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Congress will be passing a law very soon where the ISP's will be monitoring your traffic. You will get 6 warning letters before they shut you off. You pirate music, movies you get a warning. If you continue to get letters good bye Internet connection. So you have to move on to another ISP. Will this work. Who knows. Like ISP's want to loose business. Remember SOPA. It's still alive and it's guaranteed to pass very soon. There's been way to much money thrown at Congress about this matter. Looks like people will be investing in VPN's.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:51 am

electrizer

Postby electrizer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:02 pm

I find it puzzling as to why there's this discrepancy between 'established' and 'up and coming' artists when it comes to the new media, but it certainly is a testimony of changing times. Folks like Vinnie and Pat speak with contempt about those who record their gigs, Oz Noy speaks of how difficult it is nowadays to find good music among the mass of home-grown artists and endless hours of songs being created daily in people's bedrooms. On the other hand, unsigned artists take and appreciate every opoortunity of being recorded, featured, visitied, looked at, getting feedback, etc, which in their position in understandable. The thing I don't get though is the attitude of the big guys, or rather where it comes from. Is it the a 'don't record me because I want to sell it' kind of thing or does it have something to do with how they perceive performing art, as probably something intimate and one-timely, elusive and transitory, or whatever else. Or is just a matter of not being able to come to terms with the new reality? It baffles me.

BTW I just RSS'ed TheTrichordist :)

Return to “Drumming Chat”