Meet the new boss

DSOP

Re: Meet the new boss

Postby DSOP » Wed May 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Kurtis wrote:Apple must have done something right. They have a good amount of scratch.

Where do you think all the "scratch" comes from? Most of it is from people who want easy access to CONTENT. Without the music and movies, all you're left with is a piece of plastic that lets you play "Words With Friends" and "Angry Birds", or pretend you're a mercenary and kill people.

If Apple wants to impress me, they can be a good corporate citizen. How many employees (slave labor) have committed suicide at Apple's supply chain factories?

As for the "ease of use" with their software, I've never bought that argument. To me it's a bicycle with training wheels that can't be removed. I'm glad everyone here is so happy with it. It's good to have options. Not so good to be forced to play by someone's rules though. Apple may be on top today but the writing's on the walls. Trust me.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed May 16, 2012 5:03 pm

Kurtis wrote:don't like the evil empire apple has created? they seem to be successful.

The slave trade was very successful too in this country, not that long ago.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Wed May 16, 2012 5:26 pm

DSOP wrote:As for the "ease of use" with their software, I've never bought that argument. To me it's a bicycle with training wheels that can't be removed.

I'm a developer and haven't run into a single thing I can't do -- other than serious gaming -- on the mac. All non-media intensive productivity apps are headed to the cloud, anyway. Google docs and OnLive have shown us that, and the media-intensive ones (Avid and Adobe suites, etc.) effectively have parity on PC and Mac. Linux was never a serious desktop contender. And the desktop is basically dead anyway for folks who only want to do web, email, music, and photos -- which is the majority of them.

Which means ... the OS user experience and device form factor are going to be the selling points.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed May 16, 2012 6:57 pm

I'm not going to argue or predict the future of computing. Do some work with a large public utility and see how much "cloud" buy-in you get. Google is unable (or unwilling) to guarantee security, so their cloud (God I hate that term) has issues. Microsoft Azure will likely have better luck eventually. And there are plenty of serious applications that require not only desktops, but midrange computing power. For people only interested in Facebook, Twitter and photos, that's all going to end up on their televisions and/or mobile phones (until the first huge breach of security renders all of that shit over with). Windows 8 is a radical departure for Microsoft. I think it will do well, but I don't care either way. Even though I make most of my living developing software and web apps, I mostly see wasted opportunities in the world of computing.

Musicians need to realize how they're being screwed first and foremost. Our ability to monetize and protect our creations has been stolen from us all.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 pm

So Paul you develope software. Make sure you tell us what programs you work on cause I want to stay as far away from that product as possible. Dude relax. Your way beyond bitter. Oh the rebuttle. Don't bother. It's all good.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu May 17, 2012 7:46 am

Kurtis wrote:It's all good.

As long as everything is fine for you and yours, everyone else can take a number, right?

Guess what? It's NOT ALL GOOD. Stop hiding your head in the sand and accepting shit from these fucking corporate cunts.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 am

Actually, id like to see them. You seem to be a pretty intense dude, dont take that in a bad way, so its safe for me to assume that your apps are probably meticulously done.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu May 17, 2012 10:06 am

The apps I build generally run on corporate intranets and extranets. In the 15 years that I've been doing it, I've seen plenty of scary shit in the source code of corporate America & Canada. Trust me when I tell you that most software is not written very well and that you can expect some serious security breaches to say the least.

On the public side, I built and maintain the websites of some good friends of mine, who happen to be quite remarkable drummers.
Manu

Postby Manu » Mon May 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:http://cliffalmond.com/blog/the-new-boss-article/

Cool stuff Cliff mentioning the forum.

I continue thinking that if musicians have to create the music, pay to record it and then be the ones to market it and take care of the business side of it to make aprox the same money than before when the tasks were shared with the record companies, then something is wrong in the model, despite this so called newly gained "artistic freedom" they mention so much. Needless to mention the points DSOP makes.

Return to “Drumming Chat”