Remo Coated Ambassador X

Paul Marangoni

Re: Remo Coated Ambassador X

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue May 21, 2013 11:51 am

drum6282 wrote:Tried 'em and went back to regular coated Ambs. They didn't feel right under the stick for me -

+1
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed May 22, 2013 12:54 am

Whoever can make a head with the Ambassador tone and a coating with Evans' durability will make billions.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Wed May 22, 2013 6:53 am

Maybe try Aquarium? I never thought Evans coating was all that great. I've seen chunks of it come off when removing tape. Remo's coating seems wear in a logical way. I never use brushes so maybe others are more critical.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed May 22, 2013 7:41 am

The faulty Remo coating affected a finite number of heads and they should all be used up by now, or very soon. The last batch of coated ambassadors I used wore out at a normal pace, whereas the ones prior wore out almost instantaneously. If you get a head from Remo that has the coating wear out after a few minutes, contant them and they'll send you out a replacement.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Wed May 22, 2013 7:43 am

I have a set already to go to change Sat morn. I have a hard rock gig on Fri nite so the old 2 ply clears can get one last bashing. I am puttin them on my DW's. I am excited to hear them. Im hoping for a slightly deeper tone than the usual sinlge plys. If any one is interested in my opinion I will post it on Monday. I will use the new heads Sat and Sun for long gigs.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed May 22, 2013 10:24 am

Yeah the coating doesn't seem to disappear, it's just that the texture goes, so they last a long time and sound just fine for stick playing. It's not really a problem as I imagine I'll use different drums on the average hard hitting rock/funk situation than on an acoustic or light jazz gig, but it would be nice to not have to think about that.

I think anything decent sounds good on a reasonably good drum, but it seems that without that much experience Ambassadors (Emperors for certain things) is the ticket for me. Has that same warmth and cut that I appreciate in Gretsch drums. On Evans heads I just miss some overtones that are such a big part of the whole picture to me.

It's like a nice overdriven tube amp with all it's warmth and complexity compared to a transistor amp where they just cut the non-harmonic overtones.
JayTee

Postby JayTee » Fri May 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Just replaced the G2 on my snare for the ambassador x. Sounds twice as resonant, but just as fat. It's a good balance. There's a video of me playing it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Gl3Lx2rss
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri May 24, 2013 5:25 pm

I just got a whole set of coated Evans G14's from my rep at GC. Looking forward to comparing those with the Ambassador X's I have now.
Got Blushda?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri May 24, 2013 5:28 pm

willyz wrote:I just got a whole set of coated Evans G14's from my rep at GC.

That would be comparable to Remo's X14. I can't imagine them feeling/sounding decent unless you're really slamming into them with hockey sticks.
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri May 24, 2013 6:08 pm

I haven't played Evans in years. My rep offered to send them to me so I took 'em, of course.

Also waiting on some Vintage Coated Emperors from Remo.
Got Blushda?

Return to “Drumming Chat”