the moeller killer - will it make a difference ??

sejuba

the moeller killer - will it make a difference ??

Postby sejuba » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:53 pm

It seems like Jojo´s Secret Weapon has become a classic among hand technique videos but the truth is, people like myself
who have never actually mastered the single stroke roll will always be looking for the next "big secret"...

so I ran across this guy called Seth Davis on Youtube. I´m not in love with his marketing strategies to sell dvd´s but
as far as hand technique goes, he does the job quite well.

I´m super curious to hear anyone who has watched the video. I read he talks about meditation too...

here are the links:

www.themoellerkiller.com

http://vimeo.com/themoellerkiller
Paul Rivet

Re: the moeller killer - will it make a difference ??

Postby Paul Rivet » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:53 pm

Oh good, finally someone who wails on the kit faster than Chris Coleman.... heheh
I'm a wolf in cheap clothing
Gerry

Postby Gerry » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:24 am

I'm surprised I don't see spam emails for this in my junk folder, along with all the penis enlargement stuff.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 am

Another one of these?!

That video wasn't very impressive, by any means.

There never will be a "moeller killer" - As Moeller was simply describing a particular aspect of physics, the Whip. Nothing more, nothing less. He just focused in on this particular movement, that, I'm sure at the time, Technique was not very developed.

It's just physics, in it's pure and simple form. Without going into the complex math and equations, a whip is, what it is. It generates a lot of power from a small movement through various forces of moving curves to focus on the end point.
The only difference being, todays modern drums produce an absurd amount of rebound, meaning we don't have to whip the stick into them nearly as much to generate the rebound ourselves.

Other then that, "drums" is going through it's phases, from the over-designed expensive gear to the pathetic infomercial style marketing of products, that are most likely sub-par and can be found elsewhere, in higher quality, for cheaper.

I remember seeing the original Gladstone VHS tapes, these guys are just repackaging what's already been done - almost verbatim. In the words of JoJo "Yea, it's pretty useless, accept you know, for getting attention in like a music store.."
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:21 am

I'm having a lot of trouble finding video or audio of this guy playing actual music with anyone.

It's great to have control of your singles, but technique is a means to an end. Guys like Ari Hoenig, Tain, Tim Horner, and Mark Guiliana play beautifully with almost no "chops" (in the sense we see chops displayed on youtube). From a recent Tain clinic I attended: "I play both matched and traditional, and they're both BAD." And it's true, in the academic sense. But he's got everything he *needs*, and man, can he make music.

Sejuba, I'd recommend Jojo's video combined with Morello's Master Studies book, and trust in a methodical, long-term process. Don't jump around, work on a manageable number of things, and don't push your mind and body faster than they're able to absorb the new motions.

Much more useful, IMO, is working creating an interesting, dynamic melody over an AABA form using only 8th notes. "Everyone can play 8th notes." --Jojo Mayer
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:41 pm

Lucas Ives wrote:I'm having a lot of trouble finding video or audio of this guy playing actual music with anyone.

It's great to have control of your singles, but technique is a means to an end. Guys like Ari Hoenig, Tain, Tim Horner, and Mark Guiliana play beautifully with almost no "chops" (in the sense we see chops displayed on youtube). From a recent Tain clinic I attended: "I play both matched and traditional, and they're both BAD." And it's true, in the academic sense. But he's got everything he *needs*, and man, can he make music.

Sejuba, I'd recommend Jojo's video combined with Morello's Master Studies book, and trust in a methodical, long-term process. Don't jump around, work on a manageable number of things, and don't push your mind and body faster than they're able to absorb the new motions.

Much more useful, IMO, is working creating an interesting, dynamic melody over an AABA form using only 8th notes. "Everyone can play 8th notes." --Jojo Mayer

Hi Lucas, thanx for joining the discussion.
I just want to clarify I´m not a speed freak. In all honesty, all I´m looking for is good information on how to develop technique. I´ve done a bit of the Master Studies book and I do
own a copy of Jojo´s dvd. I´m really happy about my left hand nowadays... it sounds A LOT stronger than what it used to, although I was never able to achieve great speed. Playing cool music is what I´ve always strived for, but thats not equal to say playing fast will make you a worse drummer (it might if you over do it).

I´m not that old (lol) but I grew up watching Morello play these beautiful solos and I´ve always admired his technique, as much as I admire Vinnie´s, Jojo´s, Weckl´s etc etc...
I watched a couple Seth Davis videos and it did nothing for me, but its undeniable he is a master of the single stroke roll.

I find it quite arrogant how he has named his "technique" though, but that´s just a marketing strategy. As arrogant as it might sound, if it does with its supposed to, than more power to this guy. See my point ?
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:44 pm

deseipel

Postby deseipel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:01 pm

dont' worry about speed, worry about what you want to say on the drums. Speed will come after time.

his videos certainly speak for him....
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:24 pm

It's all about qualitative repetition, drumming technique is for the most part muscle memory.

I don't really care who that kid is, I would never say he has a "mastery" of the single stroke roll. Not by a long shot.

sejuba - if you want to see "technique" at it's finest, and true "masters" of it. Check out DCi Snare Drummers, and those that have aged out. At 21, or younger, most those kids toast that guy when it comes to speed, clarity and control.
rpc

Postby rpc » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 am

When anyone claiming to have some great insight on hand technique can play this, I'll buy their DVD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEiMy_qXb2A

Return to “Drumming Chat”