Is it just me (boom vs. straight)?

Josiah

Re: Is it just me (boom vs. straight)?

Postby Josiah » Mon May 21, 2012 10:37 am

gretsch-o-rama wrote:I can definitley tell between my own snare basket being loose or tight. Why do you think virtually every drum company has suspension mounting these days? Resonance is Resonance and is audible. Now if you ask me if another drummer's snare basket is loose or tight, that's a bit more difficult...

Oh yes, I completely agree. I can tell the difference being right on top of it.

But the audience? Ehhhhh...
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon May 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Things that affect cymbal tone to me are felts, cymbal sleeves, and angle of the tilter..
However.. if for some reason the stand is absorbing the energy there would be less sustain.. and potentially different overtones..

In the end it's how it feels to you that matters.. the listener most likely won't hear a different at a distance.. unless there's something very different in the 2 stands, like cymbal felts or cymbal sleeves..
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon May 21, 2012 2:18 pm

chris perra wrote:Things that affect cymbal tone to me are felts, cymbal sleeves, and angle of the tilter...

Has anyone here tried these? http://www.cympad.com/
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Mon May 21, 2012 6:46 pm

My original post really wasn't intended to describe any effect on anyone listening...just how different it feels to me playing. I've been using racks and booms for so long now it just kinda threw me how different the feel and response was. I think Chris kinda nailed it when he mentioned absorbing energy.

I checked out the sound samples on the Cympad...not enough of a sonic difference there to float my boat. AFA felts go, I have replaced a few of the really thick ones that came with some of my Yamaha stands...they seemed a bit restrictive.

Remember the cymbal spring? I tried one on a china years ago for about 5 minutes. I hated it.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon May 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Rhythmatist wrote:I have replaced a few of the really thick ones that came with some of my Yamaha stands...they seemed a bit restrictive.

They are definitely on the thick side, but all you need to do is peel away a bit at a time until it's the right thickness for your application. They split very easily just using your fingers.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon May 21, 2012 8:15 pm

DSOP wrote:
Rhythmatist wrote:I have replaced a few of the really thick ones that came with some of my Yamaha stands...they seemed a bit restrictive.

They are definitely on the thick side, but all you need to do is peel away a bit at a time until it's the right thickness for your application. They split very easily just using your fingers.

Do you know if you can get a replacement for the plastic cymbal seat? I have a couple that are worn right through to the metal... Nice light weight stands though
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Mon May 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Rhythmatist wrote:My original post really wasn't intended to describe any effect on anyone listening...just how different it feels to me playing. I've been using racks and booms for so long now it just kinda threw me how different the feel and response was. I think Chris kinda nailed it when he mentioned absorbing energy.

Ah ya, stands feel different then the rack for sure.

I played a gig tonight and couldn't hear my drums at all. haha it was ALL feel!
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon May 21, 2012 9:15 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:Do you know if you can get a replacement for the plastic cymbal seat? I have a couple that are worn right through to the metal...

They don't last very long: http://www.justplaymusic.com/drums-and- ... 87979.html

You can use a fender washer (5/16" X 1-1/2") for the bottom with gas-line tubing for the sleeve. Lasts longer, and waaaaaay less expensive.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 am

DSOP wrote:You can use a fender washer (5/16" X 1-1/2") for the bottom with gas-line tubing for the sleeve. Lasts longer, and waaaaaay less expensive.

+1 , Home Depot for the win
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Fri May 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Yes, you can get replacement seats...they thread right on the post. I carry a few spares but haven't had to use them in over 20 years now.

Return to “Drumming Chat”