Smith & Journey...almost

Yussuf

Re: Smith & Journey...almost

Postby Yussuf » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:33 am

Before.

After: the clip on this thread.

What on earth happened to SS? Perfect example of going after perfect technique, and losing all SOUND.

I don't want to be disrespectful but still..
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:51 am

Ok, this is not exactly related but here is SS daughter. To me, she completely rocks:

https://twitter.com/?ref=nf#!/stevesmithdrums/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2F8JJXJRgS
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:52 am

Josiah wrote:I agree about the drum sounds/presence but I figured it was from the camera? or just the levels in the room overall. Damn guitarists always turning up!

Old Pit Guy wrote:
Josiah wrote:I really enjoyed that! Great playing all around, Thanks

Did you find a way to fill a pepper mill with Bluebirds and sprinkle it on everything you eat or what?

What?!

Just a joke :)

I'm used to logging on and finding most of your posts contrarian rather than agreeable, and that's fine - I've no problem with it. Lately, it seems like wine and roses. The Bluebird reference ... bluebird of happiness. It's all good.

Back on topic, there was a video in the library at MIT of Vital Information on the old stage done before my time there. This was back when you paged them by intercom to watch VHS tapes on little B&W monitors by wire from the library. Incredible playing, and what I'd say is markedly missing from anything he's done in the past fifteen years.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:10 pm

To be fair, this is just a rehearsal. It sounds like the song is being played the first time thru. Figures are missed and the fills are kinda just messing around. He sounds like a jazz drummer venturing into rock. I'm sure SS will get it more tight and get rid of al the excess notes in time.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
percusski

Postby percusski » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:41 pm

renardvert wrote:Ok, this is not exactly related but here is SS daughter. To me, she completely rocks:

https://twitter.com/?ref=nf#!/stevesmithdrums/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2F8JJXJRgS

gorgeous!
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:18 pm

WOW...never saw that early SS clip b4. Look how far back his left hand is on the stick!
Do you think he felt awkward even back then, that there is something not quite right
with his grip and overall ergonomic approach? When did the subtle wrestling inside grow
to the point of taking action to change his approach?

Something tells me he not only avoids looking at these old clips, he cringes inside asking,
"How did I ever reach like that for my ride?"

When I first heard Escape, I noticed how light his touch was on the hats for a "rock drummer"
I knew nothing about SS when Escape came out. A friend at PIT said the drummer from
Journey was doing a clinic...they were less than thrilled (typical drum student response I suppose)
and he was blown away. This was no "rock" drummer. He had tools in the shed not normally
exposed.

I think what SS did was very rare...a jazz drummer at heart playing a massive rock gig and
composing parts that were signature (for me this is Frontiers and is a masterpiece)...
his work on Captured is so solid it's ridiculous for a Live recording.

This could be a thread from 1995...accept it then and now, SS is not that drummer from
1980 anymore. Good for him...he followed his heart and having some good bank from
the Journey gig didn't hurt that ambition. The man has led his own band since 1984
in Vital Information. That is pretty amazing.

Comparing the two vids is more a visual thing for me...he just looks like a totally different
musician behind the kit now...grip, posture, set-up...for his age he is incredibly fit and
can play until he dies w/o pain supporting his technique...he even said that in a clinic
years ago...his technique offers little to no stress on his body.

...and his kid is luscious. A real life yummy bear.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:42 pm

we were SOOOOO CLOSE! I was so ready to buy a tix for this tour.... :(

....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:26 pm

I picked up "Live! One Great Night" a few days ago. It will probably be the last CD/DVD I ever buy with Steve Smith's name on it. This coming from one of his biggest fans.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:32 pm

DSOP wrote:I picked up "Live! One Great Night" a few days ago. It will probably be the last CD/DVD I ever buy with Steve Smith's name on it. This coming from one of his biggest fans.

Did you pay more than 10 dollars for it? :D
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:47 pm

Jim Richman wrote:Did you pay more than 10 dollars for it? :D

Yes, I did. But only because it includes a DVD of the performance. If anyone's interested, you can have it for $7 plus shipping.

Return to “Drumming Chat”