PETER ERSKINE - Playing Electronic drums

Juan Expósito

PETER ERSKINE - Playing Electronic drums

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:40 am

There are more parts on Youtube:
Last edited by Juan Expósito on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
amoergosum

Re: PETER ERSKINE - Playing Electronic drums

Postby amoergosum » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:49 am

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:59 am

click-clickety-click click-clickety-click click-click [sound of sticks on rubber pads] :|
I love Ersko. I hate electronic drums.
Last edited by Morgenthaler on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
gior

Postby gior » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:38 am

WONDERFUL!!!!!
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 am

He can play anything and it will sound good.

That said (and I imagine I'm in the minority here), I think in the next ten years, the electronic drum will be established as its own instrument. And I'm ok with that -- as long as the acoustics still are here.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:53 am

Ugh... that's not good.

MRhet wrote:I think in the next ten years, the electronic drum will be established as its own instrument.

No way. Never will.

Here's a few reasons why:

1. Zero tactile feel. Drums are about power, energy and vibrations. You can never replicate what it feels like to play on an acoustic set. Which is a MASSIVE amount of what drumming is. The change in textures, the feel of laying into the snare, the chest thumping from the kick drum... that's such an integral part of drumming, without it. You have a shell of what was.
Not to mention, rim shot a esnare a few times, you have a very expensive pile of rubber and wires.

2. The visual impact. Ekits on stage look like butt. Don't care what, who or how well it's played. It just flat out looks stupid. You have these huge samples coming from what basically looks like a toy. Nobody is buying that.

3. Buzz rolls on floor toms. Or name any other stupidity based ekit joke of a performance. Digital strips away the technique that is foundational to what is required to play a great instrument well.

4. Feel. Digital sampling will never be able to replicate the inherent differences of humans.

Churches, Apartment's, etc.. they are a great solution to REPLICATING the actual instrument. But they will always be exactly that, a digital reproduction of a physical instrument.

You know, they've been playing with digital versions of guitars for longer then drums. Never catches on. And as far as a particular instrument, have you played with a WaveDrum? The digital realm has some serious coolness, but none of it will come from replicating the acoustic instrument.
We get to stomp the crap outta a MASSIVE sub woofer - called a bass drum. That FEELS awesome! You just can not replicate physical power with digital anything.

EG: See the rise of Tube Amps over expanding digital modeling. Tube still reigns supreme. You just can't cheat physics.

Nothing beats smacking a drum.
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Josiah wrote:Ugh... that's not good.

MRhet wrote:I think in the next ten years, the electronic drum will be established as its own instrument.

No way. Never will.

1. Zero tactile feel. Drums are about power, energy and vibrations. You can never replicate what it feels like to play on an acoustic set.

2. The visual impact. Ekits on stage look like butt. .

3. Buzz rolls on floor toms.

4. Feel. Digital sampling will never be able to replicate the inherent differences of humans.

Churches, Apartment's, etc.. they are a great solution to REPLICATING the actual instrument. But they will always be exactly that, a digital reproduction of a physical instrument.

Josiah you seem to assume that what was brought up in the previous post was that he thought electronic drums/e-kits would replace the drumset- I doubt that's going to be a case. I mean, why on earth would you try to do a buzz roll on an electronic pad, when that's something that really hasn't been sampled well yet or employed as well on an electronic kit?

People have been using pads with a brain on the kit for years- is this not a new concept for you? I think the technology is still going to improve going forward, in a way that's not meant to replicate the acoustic side of things, but rather compliment them a bit better.
Got Blushda?
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:30 pm

No -- never say never, as they say. You end up eating those words one day.

I certainly don't disagree with your preference, of course, but the world and history is full of "this will never happen" and people laugh at them (and the people who said it) today.

So much changes daily.

No way. Never will.

1. Zero tactile feel. Drums are about power, energy and vibrations. You can never replicate what it feels like to play on an acoustic set. Which is a MASSIVE amount of what drumming is. The change in textures, the feel of laying into the snare, the chest thumping from the kick drum... that's such an integral part of drumming, without it. You have a shell of what was.
Not to mention, rim shot a esnare a few times, you have a very expensive pile of rubber and wires.

2. The visual impact. Ekits on stage look like butt. Don't care what, who or how well it's played. It just flat out looks stupid. You have these huge samples coming from what basically looks like a toy. Nobody is buying that.

3. Buzz rolls on floor toms. Or name any other stupidity based ekit joke of a performance. Digital strips away the technique that is foundational to what is required to play a great instrument well.

You know, they've been playing with digital versions of guitars for longer then drums. Never catches on. And as far as a particular instrument, have you played with a WaveDrum? The digital realm has some serious coolness, but none of it will come from replicating the acoustic instrument.
We get to stomp the crap outta a MASSIVE sub woofer - called a bass drum. That FEELS awesome! You just can not replicate physical power with digital anything.

EG: See the rise of Tube Amps over expanding digital modeling. Tube still reigns supreme. You just can't cheat physics.

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:48 pm

electronic kits have improved a lot through the years. peter did sound like peter on that kit. would have been better if you just heard the kit and not the tapping of the pads blended in. don't like electronic kits myself. the feel is just horrible. and the cymbal pads. yuck.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:50 pm

No way. Never will.

i enjoy reading your posts because you're obviously very provocative but can backup your thoughts in a very logical way. Yes, I thought the drums sounded bad
when it was only him playing (mind you I couldn't watch the entire video). They blended well once the other stuff came in but still, I would NEVER want
a sound like that in a record.

I have faith in technology and I'm sure we will be seeing a lot of cool and useful stuff in the next years or so but I honestly don't want them to replace the real thing...

Here's a short clip of Nir Z on a td20 with superior 2.0. I like his playing and it sounds good, although you can definitely hear the artifacts, nonetheless quite impressive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giFEKDweJss

Return to “Drumming Chat”