Recommended Music

BennyAndTheSkins

Re: Recommended Music

Postby BennyAndTheSkins » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:00 am

Branford's take on Black Codes:

http://www.marsalismusic.com/news/ctcom ... d-marsalis

". But there was a funny thing that happened not too long ago. I was with a friend of mine who’s a jazz fan, and we were driving around New York. He puts on Black Codes [… (From the Underground), a 1985 album by Wynton Marsalis]. My first instinct, whenever I hear something with me on it, is “turn that shit off.” But I hadn’t heard it in awhile, so I said, “I’m just going to sit here. I’m not going to say a word, and I’m going to listen to this record from beginning to end.” When it was over, I sent Wynton a text message that said, “Man, I just heard Black Codes. Boy, we sure did suck.” And it took about 10 seconds for me to get a text back saying, “Didn’t we?” So that was ’85. I think there’s an early, early interview, and the guy was talking to me, saying, “I didn’t hear anything original in your sound.” And I said, “I’m 25 years old. You can’t expect that until I’m 40.” And I said, “I’m not really a jazz player. I’m just learning the music.” The great about my career is that all of these recordings will be a document of progress, or a lack of progress, one of the two. But I’m certainly not there. To me, when I hear the records, they’re a document of progress but not something that I’d want to listen to."
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:36 am

That's interesting, but it probably says more about my understanding (or rather, lack of understanding) than anything. Then again, the thing that is most striking to me on that record is Jeff's drumming. I need to listen to the record at least ten more times before I can start listening to it as a whole.
BennyAndTheSkins

Postby BennyAndTheSkins » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:39 pm

Also If Phil Mickelson shoots a 73, that's a bad round for him, but a great round for the rest of us.
Branford's playing on it may be at a lower level than he's at now, but compositionally, and from a listenability standpoint, it's still a great album.

I really like the textures on the album, the more I've listened to it today...........
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 pm

I'd expect nothing less from Branford (or Wynton.) That was over 25 years (a lifetime) ago (but it doesn't mean that I can't dig it!)

I LOVE what he says about hearing progress in his own career-playing. I think that how most of the greats look at listening to really old recordings of themselves. Those (recordings) are just rest stops along the way of a larger artistic journey. And in yesterday's world (before youtube, and when people cared enough to buy entire recordings) we could really document (and observe) peoples artistic evolution (year to year, NOT day to day!) And that is always a great study! You can actually watch/hear people "grow" before your ears.

What really makes the greats GREAT is consistency, and within that realm there is an arc of progress (baby steps.) Whether we hear it, or agree with it is totally unimportant, it's their journey (that also exists as entertainment.) And going back lifetimes (25 years ago) is useless (and contra-intuitive) in that journey, it's nostalgia. In 25 years the context of everything has changed, art isn't created in a vacuum.

If you could listen to yourself in the 5th grade band, would you? How about high school marching band? NOPE! But listening to recordings of last night's gig, there is something to really be learned from that.

Also great to hear him say that at 25 years old he didn't have anything "original" in his sound (maybe we should read that as style-approach.) I don't think ANYONE (or VERY few) does! Every time someone posts some clip of a kid playing drums someone is quick to say "He doesn't have any groove." I always think, "Of course he doesn't, he have anything to groove on, yet. He's 15 years old!

Things take time and patience. The latter is very lacking today. I wish Branford would write a book, I'd be first in line.

Regarding Sting's hiring of Kenny and Branford. I don't know, won't pretend to, and have never asked any of the principals about it. But you KNOW Sting heard that CD (it was a VERY popular CD.) And after hearing it, how could someone like Sting (who was busy putting a new band together,) NOT ask about Branford and Kenny. I am just thankful he had the good sense to make "Bring On The NIght."

When you guys are done with "Black Codes" give "Standard Time Volume 1" a listen!
(But hold on tight!)
MSG
(sorry about the thread hijack)
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:25 am

Someone in HOD turned me into Standard Time Volume 1. Deep stuff for sure.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:16 am

Standard Time is great, but it pales in comparison as far as I'm concerned.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 am

OK OK I'LL GO BUY THE ALBUM.

geesh.

;)
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:07 am

For example:

french toast

Postby french toast » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:56 am

landau laboriel / raging hongkies

from 1:30~ great guitar solo

proshot version

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:52 am

Last edited by Paul Marangoni on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Drumming Chat”