New drum lesson vid: 16th note triplet phrasing.

bstocky

Re: New drum lesson vid: 16th note triplet phrasing.

Postby bstocky » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:28 am

I finally got around to watching this. Nice job. Thanks for the lesson Steve. Please keep this video up. I messed up my thumb and won't be able to practice for awhile. Thanks again.
BennyAndTheSkins

Postby BennyAndTheSkins » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:13 pm

"Playing with dynamics is a big part of being musical..... it's a big part of gelling with the music.... it separates the boys from the men..."

Gospel Truth, right up there with Billy Ward's comment from MD2000, "You've got to love the space between the notes more than you love the notes themselves"

Nice playing, Steve. Drums sound phenominal.
CPS

Postby CPS » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Wise words, Benny! Steve, always wondered how you play some of that stuff! MAAAN... you've really took some difficult stuff and owned it, kudos to ya! I'm now determined to drop the lazy ego thing of non sloppiness not being "hip!"
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:This was fun to make. I wish I had moved that Azuka out of the way so you could see the hat. Next time. Also the second camera angle is almost useless. Breaks up the flow nicely though. Anyways, enjoy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBVigqyqMr4&hd=1

Nice lesson, Steve. I like your practical, meat and potatoes, approach to drum lessons. Also, I've always admired your clean doubles. Good work.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 am

Loved it! Hearing & watching you play and teach is like having rocket fuel for lunch. And damn...the way you make those Yammies sing!!
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:This was fun to make. I wish I had moved that Azuka out of the way so you could see the hat. Next time. Also the second camera angle is almost useless. Breaks up the flow nicely though. Anyways, enjoy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBVigqyqMr4&hd=1

Great playing and delivery. The technical upgrades are really fantastic as well. Your right about the second camera. A fixed overhead shot would be nice. You can do that pretty easily with a flipcam from the ceiling somehow. You could benefit from a clip on mic for a consistant vocal presence; and you could play and talk without being all Janet Jackson.

-Congrats and keep it coming cause the internet does need more drum videos! :| :lol:
Dave Capuzelo

Postby Dave Capuzelo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:08 am

Great lesson, Steve. And yes, we DO need more drum videos, if they're done well. Yours are always done well.

They're thoroughly informative, and you're not full of yourself and acting like you're gods gift to drum lessons. Keep them coming; Ill gladly even pay for them if you were charging.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:12 am

I too just got to this video. Excellent job, great ideas, great playing and teaching! And I think the internet needs more CAT drumming videos, a lot more.
LinearDrumma

Postby LinearDrumma » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks for another great lesson!

One of the things I really like about your vids besides great playing ofcourse, is that you present your ideas without all the fake jokes/wannabee super-coolness that I see from another so called popular drummer :roll: that does lessons on youtube

Just meat & potatoes approach letting your playing speak for itself.

Return to “Drumming Chat”