Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Josiah
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:15 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Postby Josiah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:38 pm

From DiscMakers "Guide to Recording"

"SEPARATE BUT EQUAL
Now, let’s break all the rules, and try recording
one section of the drum kit at a time. Pick
the mics of your choice and go nuts with the
mic positions. Yes, you are going to individually
record the kick, snare, toms, and cymbals.
Yes, your drummer may freak out at being
asked to play his or her snare part independently,
then the kick part independently, then
add the tom figures independently, and finally
track the cymbal and hi-hat parts. And, yes,
this is a wild way to go, but it has worked for
many producers and engineers—just check
out most of Jeff Lynne’s productions. Obviously,
this approach will take longer to record,
but the mixing possibilities are endless. —Scott
Mathews ●"

IMO that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.... but I'm wrong often enough, thoughts?
Jim Richman
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 pm

Re: Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:55 pm

Josiah wrote:From DiscMakers "Guide to Recording"

"SEPARATE BUT EQUAL
Now, let’s break all the rules, and try recording
one section of the drum kit at a time. Pick
the mics of your choice and go nuts with the
mic positions. Yes, you are going to individually
record the kick, snare, toms, and cymbals.
Yes, your drummer may freak out at being
asked to play his or her snare part independently,
then the kick part independently, then
add the tom figures independently, and finally
track the cymbal and hi-hat parts. And, yes,
this is a wild way to go, but it has worked for
many producers and engineers—just check
out most of Jeff Lynne’s productions. Obviously,
this approach will take longer to record,
but the mixing possibilities are endless. —Scott
Mathews ●"

IMO that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.... but I'm wrong often enough, thoughts?

Not dumb at all. J.R. has done this for some big hits. You have to be a great drummer to pull it off.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Julián Fernández
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Matt Chamberlain too...

The QOSA album featuring Ghrol (there´s only one?) used a similar approach: drums recorded first, cymbals later...
User avatar
DeeP_FRieD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:47 pm
Location: Tempe, AZ
Contact:

Re: Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:57 pm

If I'm not mistaken, It's Probably Me from Ten Summoner's Tales was done similar to this.
JayD
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:39 am

Re: Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Postby JayD » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:46 am

I believe this recording technique could also be known as "engineers figuring out new ways of sucking the groove out of tracks"
Josiah
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:15 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Postby Josiah » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:12 am

Julián Fernández wrote:Matt Chamberlain too...

The QOSA album featuring Ghrol (there´s only one?) used a similar approach: drums recorded first, cymbals later...


But each drum separately?
circh bustom
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:20 am

Re: Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Postby circh bustom » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 am

Sure some of the titans of the kit may have done it, I imagine you have to be of that ilk to pull it off. That being said, the big guys used to put tea towels between the head and the rim at one time too. I do know the guy from the Alkaline Trio recorded one of their records with the Grohl drum/cymbal recording thing he did in QOSA. The record has no life to it. I dont understand why someone would do this with an acoustic instrument made of wood and metal. Would you record each string individually on an acoustic guitar? The beauty of a well made acoustic guitar is the resonance created from the whole instrument. It becomes something greater than it's parts, as does most grooves. Drums and drummers have come a long way in validating the fact that the kit as a whole is an important instrument.
Last edited by circh bustom on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigbone
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Postby bigbone » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:09 am

Jim Richman wrote:
Josiah wrote:From DiscMakers "Guide to Recording"

"SEPARATE BUT EQUAL
Now, let’s break all the rules, and try recording
one section of the drum kit at a time. Pick
the mics of your choice and go nuts with the
mic positions. Yes, you are going to individually
record the kick, snare, toms, and cymbals.
Yes, your drummer may freak out at being
asked to play his or her snare part independently,
then the kick part independently, then
add the tom figures independently, and finally
track the cymbal and hi-hat parts. And, yes,
this is a wild way to go, but it has worked for
many producers and engineers—just check
out most of Jeff Lynne’s productions. Obviously,
this approach will take longer to record,
but the mixing possibilities are endless. —Scott
Mathews ●"

IMO that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.... but I'm wrong often enough, thoughts?

Not dumb at all. J.R. has done this for some big hits. You have to be a great drummer to pull it off.



JR overdub some part..... Not the same.
Julián Fernández
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:50 am

Josiah wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote:Matt Chamberlain too...

The QOSA album featuring Ghrol (there´s only one?) used a similar approach: drums recorded first, cymbals later...


But each drum separately?


Yes... It´s in an old MD interview. Can´t remember if it was the New Bohemians sessions.
Josiah
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:15 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Postby Josiah » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:12 am

Well for instance Stings "It's probably me" it's mostly a half note cross stick...

But otherwise, wouldn't this destroy any feel or groove? it would just be totally sterile. Might as well just program the drums.

Return to “Drumming Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests