Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Julián Fernández

Re: Anyone ever heard of this recording technique?

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Just wondering, DP, why don´t you record your takes that way?
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:33 pm

If it is in the pocket, it is in the pocket. The idea that isolating the recording of a particular voice, or as it is also known, overdubbing, kills the groove just seems a little bit odd. Would that mean a drummer cant groove to a drum machine? It would seem to be overkill to isolate every drum sound and be unworthy of the time needed, but in a more generic sense the concept can be applied with slight variations, like recording a groove for a whole track and overdubbing some hihat, tom fills or color. The recording below is an example of overdubbing and remaining in the pocket, imho.

This hihat part was not played in one take:

Neither of these songs lack in pocket.
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:01 am

It's not a funk groove, but a groove nonetheless. I would say this particular song and the album did pretty good and got the point across with the music. All the cymbals were recorded separately and I believe the drum fills, but I'm not positive on that one.

Recording each of the elements of a drumset separately is a different way of recording - a recording technique, that's all. If I was producing a record, I wouldn't do it that way, but the technique is a valid one.

I tell you, with the way rock music records sound nowadays, you might as well record all the pieces separately. Drummers playing personality on the records I hear now is all but squashed. I just don't understand why. Part of the uniqueness of a particular band is their members and how they play. They all sound the same. So fucking boring to me. It's a complete nightmare.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:03 am

So true... most of us hated some of the 80s drum sounds, but today is even worst... Can´t understand why most young rock drummers find cool to use samples and beat detective as an standard. Crazy shit in my book.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 am

Over dubbing is totally different then the described method for recording drum set. Rick Allen is off limits to the discussion, because that guy is just a drum hero for what he did/does.

Cymbalfeltfetishist wrote:I tell you, with the way rock music records sound nowadays, you might as well record all the pieces separately. Drummers playing personality on the records I hear now is all but squashed. I just don't understand why. Part of the uniqueness of a particular band is their members and how they play. They all sound the same. So fucking boring to me. It's a complete nightmare.

You're really only speaking about very commercial rock music though and it's mostly trash from the get go, regardless of how it was recorded.

On the other hand, take a band like Foo Fighters, and their last album was done entirely on tape in dudes garage.

Return to “Drumming Chat”