What heads are you currently using?

Klemme

Re: What heads are you currently using?

Postby Klemme » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:25 am

Been trying alot of Heads throughout the Years. Actually I've come back to Pinstripes... I love them!

They got a sloppy Reputation. But I think when it comes to a sound that is good to work with and a sound the other musicians in the band loves. Pinstripe delivers! :)
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:11 am

Yeah, Pinstripes....
I think they've got that certain "I used them when I was younger but now I've moved on since I don't play as hard as I used to" vibe about them, but I've said it before-I've got them on my Sonor kit up at the mountain studio and they sound and record phenomenally. Never say never! Certain heads just work great on certain drums in certain rooms. I was never very inspired by the sound of my Pearl Birch kit in my home/basement studio (we bought a house last May so that i could start recording) and I thought was gonna have to rip out some carpet (still might) to get a better sound, but just last week I took the coated Aquarians off my home studio kit and replaced them with clear ambassadors. Made a HUGE difference in the spread and sustain. Funny. One kit with Pinstripes, one with clear Ambassadors, and my Eames kit at the band practice room with coated Vintage Emps (which is my favorite kit to play). Thought about taking the Aquarians up to the mountain studio but will probably just stack 'em for awhile. The Pinstripes just work!
D.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:47 am

Klemme wrote:Pinstripe delivers! :)

I may be wrong, but I think Remo altered the Pinstripes a bit around ten years ago. I agree, they're great. I haven't used them in about seven years myself, so I'll have to give them another go soon too.
Klemme

Postby Klemme » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 am

They've been altered a bit yeah! If you want the "old" Clear pinstripe, you can use the Coated Pinstripe, they haven't been altered, but they are coated, if you can live with that...

Great Heads. I'm not recommending them for people who plays high pitched Jazz kits. But to that medium to low pitched maple or Birch kits. they just make em sound like the engineer wants em to :)
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:28 am

Klemme wrote:I'm not recommending them for people who plays high pitched Jazz kits.

That's the reason I haven't used them in a while, but I still think I should give it a shot. I play a 12, 13 and 14 tom setup. My 12 is tuned REALLY tight/high, but my 13 is about medium and my 14 on the low side (so I get a nice spread).
willyz

Postby willyz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:02 pm

I bought coated Emps for my toms on my main kit, Tama Starclassic Birch (10" and 12" toms) instead of my usual coated Ambassadors (which I'm keeping on my snare and kick) mainly just for shits and giggles...

However, I used my bop kit (18" kick, 12", 14" toms) at my weekly gig and it held up quite well with the rock, blues, and funk... I've got coated Ambassadors on all sides of all the drums (sans snare, of course, which is from the Tama kit) and they sound great! Tuned up higher, certainly, and we put a mic in front of the reso head on the kick and it sounds freaking great! I'm really digging the 18" kick... it's just so funky when you really lay into it...
Got Blushda?
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Coated Ambassador all around. I like clear resos too, but coated wins for everything now it seems. Power Stroke 3 on BD. Like experimenting with snare drums.
Klemme

Postby Klemme » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:07 pm

DSOP wrote:
Klemme wrote:I'm not recommending them for people who plays high pitched Jazz kits.

That's the reason I haven't used them in a while, but I still think I should give it a shot. I play a 12, 13 and 14 tom setup. My 12 is tuned REALLY tight/high, but my 13 is about medium and my 14 on the low side (so I get a nice spread).

That sounds like the old 90's Erskoman way! I like that! 8-)

I loved that sound on his instructional VHS.
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:19 pm

I use Smooth White Emperors on one DW rig, clear Emperors on another, Vintage Emperors on both a vintage '64 Ludwig and DW Classic.

I have talked about the Smooth White Emperors a lot on here already, and am so glad I got Danny Kim (LADanny) to try them out (and subsequently love them). I think they are great heads with a really smooth decay, more attack than a coated and more warmth than a clear. Come on folks, get on board!! Heck, VINNIE USES THEM!! :mrgreen:

MP
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:00 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”