What heads are you currently using?

YamahaPlayer

Re: What heads are you currently using?

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Funny cause the sound in that video is horrible. Remo DID alter the Pinstripes some time ago.

I use a pinstripe or clear emp on my kick batters. I got this pop gig and put clear emp's on the toms for a lil heavier, wetter sound.

We did an experiment (still are) of hanging a large tom inside the kick drum, interesting results... very interesting. Gotta play with it more, getting some very odd tones depending on the tuning - almost wooferish.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:33 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:Funny cause the sound in that video is horrible. Remo DID alter the Pinstripes some time ago.

I use a pinstripe or clear emp on my kick batters. I got this pop gig and put clear emp's on the toms for a lil heavier, wetter sound.

We did an experiment (still are) of hanging a large tom inside the kick drum, interesting results... very interesting. Gotta play with it more, getting some very odd tones depending on the tuning - almost wooferish.

Yeah, I agree about the sound in that video, but I think there's nothing in the bass drum to dampen it. It's just the head.

How are you suspending the tom in the bass drum? Please post a video of your results when you're done. I'm very curious.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:43 pm

DSOP wrote:How are you suspending the tom in the bass drum? Please post a video of your results when you're done. I'm very curious.

Just off the normal kick drum mount, inverted to be inside the drum instead of on the top. Idea is just for kicks (ha ha!), drums are so cool with how modular they are, how can you NOT mess around all the time with them?!

In the end, all said and done, the high end drums sound so amazing that really nothing more be needed then some heads, a dash of tuning skills and a passion for hitting em.
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:57 am

So now Remo's basically copying the Evans EMAD system? WTF? I just hope they don't discontinue Powersonics...
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:38 pm

I just went back to a coated ambassador on my bass drum (batter). Oh my, it's so good. Very happy! I used to play a clear ambassador but have been using a coated powerstroke 3 for a couple years. Ambassador rules. Coated for the win.
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:10 am

Paul, can you talk about what the sound differences are between your coated ambassador and coated PS3 on your bass drum? and do you using muffling.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:28 am

Still coated over clear ambs, PS3 on BD and hazy diplomat snare reso. Currently a clear batter on th BD which gives me a little more definition than the coated one.

I put a coated Amb on the BD on a kit at school. Nice, warm and open.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:59 pm

I've been using the Ambassador Xs on the toms, and pleased with the result. Not as papery or light as regular Ambassadors. Surprisingly heavy, not as heavy as Emps.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:26 am

langmick wrote:I've been using the Ambassador Xs on the toms, and pleased with the result. Not as papery or light as regular Ambassadors. Surprisingly heavy, not as heavy as Emps.

Been wondering about these for a while. I assume you have clear Ambs on reso? How would you compare these to the sound of the Emps over Ambs combo?
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:12 am

Amb clear reso side. More attack but to me tone and sustain is closer to emps, they are livlier though. You can feel the extra material and they feel great to lay into. I haven't used coated Emps in quite a while though.

I used them live on these tracks with Audix mics. Had a regular Amb on the 18" floor and it felt like hitting the sports section from the Sunday paper in comparison. I'm going to stick with the Xs for the foreseeable future. https://soundcloud.com/echoesofpinkfloyd

Return to “Drumming Chat”