What heads are you currently using?

Paul Marangoni

Re: What heads are you currently using?

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:40 am

Cymbalfeltfetishist wrote:Paul, can you talk about what the sound differences are between your coated ambassador and coated PS3 on your bass drum? and do you using muffling.

The Powerstroke III has more low end with the mid frequencies scooped out. It can give a weak bass drum some added fatness. The regular Coated Ambassador has more attack is much easier to hear from where you're sitting. As a result, I find it easier to play.

I have a Fiberskyn on the front of the bass drum with no hole. Inside, I have a small pillow (18" x 18") which touches both heads (my bass drum is 16" deep) held in place with shoelaces.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:02 am

I've never tried a coated amb on the bd but I plan to at some point. Up til now it's been powerstroke.
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:15 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:I've never tried a coated amb on the bd but I plan to at some point. Up til now it's been powerstroke.

It's pretty papery sounding on its own but with Yamaha Impact Strip around the outside it makes a very nice sound. So nice I even used italic font.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:30 pm

So much for the Coated Ambassador bass drum head... I love the sound, but my beaters are disintegrating from constant impact against the coating on the head. Yikes! Back to Clear Ambassador for me.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:37 am

So nice I even used italic font.

That was just funny!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
percusski

Postby percusski » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:17 pm

Just ordered some more texture coated single plys, these heads have a lovely tone!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:59 am

Soon Bady, soon. We'll get your tone back. I promise.

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 am

Remo Coated Controlled Sound, with the dot on TOP: https://amzn.to/2KHbO6I
I used these back in the 90s and finally got around to trying it again. Really nice. Check them out next time you change your snare's head.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Mon May 07, 2018 9:53 am

My kick is a 20" with an Evans with black rubber and foam rings, Emad I think it is. Sounds great. But for snare and toms, I've gone all Evans UV1 now. They sound excellent and their coating lasts for ever. They look new for so much longer. You really can have your cake and eat it. In this pic (click on it) taken on the weekend, the snare head is just a few weeks old but the toms have had those heads for a few months, gigged regularly, and they look fresh.

No drums no life, know drums know life...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon May 07, 2018 10:47 am

GoAndPractice wrote:
Steve Holmes wrote:I've never tried a coated amb on the bd but I plan to at some point. Up til now it's been powerstroke.

It's pretty papery sounding on its own but with Yamaha Impact Strip around the outside it makes a very nice sound. So nice I even used italic font.

Ambassador on the BD sounds nice. I think it would work well with the stuff I've heard you play.

Return to “Drumming Chat”