Bill Evans & The Universal Mind

Paul Marangoni

Bill Evans & The Universal Mind

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:16 pm

electrizer

Re: Bill Evans & The Universal Mind

Postby electrizer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:25 am

First of all thank you so much for this incredible find!

I agree with him saying that sticking to fundamentals, in any activity, is crucial as these are the absolute basics on which you build your craft. I've considered myself cursed for a long time, and my coming here to this forum is, for me at least, a sign of an ongoing change in myself. When I got into drumming my main inspirations were Mike Portnoy and his likes, then Virgil Donati. This gave me the false idea that whatever you do it should be complicated because it'll impress people. Only years after that did I start to realise that not so much the opposite is true, but in order to be able to impress with your intricate playing you have to be in total command of it, which entails having the fundamentals down. Even when I got my handd on FastTracker 2.09 when I was in secondary school I was very much into drum'n'bass, jungle, Aphex Twin, I would listen to Mike Patton's "Adult Themes For Voice" on my bike rides, which pushed me into that area of experimentative and very difficult music even further, without being first able to appreciate what that music really stands on.

Only for a couple of years now have I started to move back up the line of musical history, being interested in classic rock bands, classical music, jazz, recently early blues. And as much as you can't force or prevent certain things, I consider my own musical development quite interesting and moving at times, departing from all the most quirky genres towards the so-called "roots". Bill is so right...

Sorry for this self-absorbed post. Thanks once again for this video!
MARACATU

Postby MARACATU » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:49 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:

Thank you very much for posting this... would you happen to know of any other related videos or books on this subject?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:13 pm

MARACATU wrote:know of any other related videos or books on this subject?

http://www.stevekhan.com/sowhata.htm
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:47 pm

It's really interesting to watch this and see how, years ago, there was tremendous respect for pioneering, virtuosity, and intellectualism in what was then a popular music genre.

It's also interesting to hear his tone towards the beach boys and folk music...
percusski

Postby percusski » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:08 pm

yeah this was excellent!

Return to “Drumming Chat”