BENNY GREB - New videos

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: BENNY GREB - New videos

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri May 11, 2018 12:05 am

I thought he had a solid relaxed feel on that buddy stuff. Nice!
Not much for stage presence or presentation. Some guys are more interesting to watch than others.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri May 11, 2018 12:14 am

Doesn't look the most passionate and with certain things I agree. To my taste I can say that about several of the greats, though. It's both about musical and personal style.

I like Benny best when he does his own thing.

He's good, though. Maybe sometimes makes things look too easy.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri May 11, 2018 4:17 am

So Benny played Slo Funk...

Flashback:

sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:24 pm

When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:50 am

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Lots and lots and lots musical stuff going on here. Love his playing
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:21 am

I love Benny, saw him play last month and he was very funny and relaxed, as well as very creative and skillful as a player.

I wish, wish, wish he'd do more as part of a major artist's project though, rather than just music through his own lens. I know he hasn't JUST done his own thing but an association with a major act, seeing how he intepreted their music, would be so good. Gadd has Simon & Farfunkel, Weckl has Chick Corea, Erskine has Weather Report, Omar has Madonna, Vinnie has Sting, Herbie etc etc etc - all those guys from the previous generation have had their playing and legacy partly defined by looking outwards and making something really cool in a more mainstream arena, as well as doing the more muso stuff so well.

Anyway I feel like Greb is truly something fresh in a world where it's sooo hard to genuinely move the game on.
____
Ned
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:34 am

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:01 am

thewikiman wrote:I love Benny, saw him play last month and he was very funny and relaxed, as well as very creative and skillful as a player.

I wish, wish, wish he'd do more as part of a major artist's project though, rather than just music through his own lens. I know he hasn't JUST done his own thing but an association with a major act, seeing how he intepreted their music, would be so good. Gadd has Simon & Farfunkel, Weckl has Chick Corea, Erskine has Weather Report, Omar has Madonna, Vinnie has Sting, Herbie etc etc etc - all those guys from the previous generation have had their playing and legacy partly defined by looking outwards and making something really cool in a more mainstream arena, as well as doing the more muso stuff so well.

Anyway I feel like Greb is truly something fresh in a world where it's sooo hard to genuinely move the game on.

As much as I love him (I've been a fan since I saw him live in 2002, when he was still Benjamin Greb) there's no comparison to Gadd, Vinnie or Weckl.
They each have distinctly unique personalities on the drumset and for that, they've been celebrated around the world for the last 4-5 decades.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:00 pm

I didn´t want to be a buzzkiller, but Greb does not belong to that list... Not in a million years.

Return to “Drumming Chat”