Dennis Chambers Thread

Julián Fernández

Re: Anyone Have An Update On Dennis Chambers?

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Glad to see Dennis doing well... And oldie just surfaced. Grab it before it goes down.

Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:06 am

Yes !!
Dennis hitting again.
June 5th - 6th

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:18 am

Man...I'm soooo happy for Dennis!
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:39 pm

That's Jeff Sipe on the left (Dennis' right) on that second video, correct? He's no slouch himself... cat can get DOWN.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:08 am

"Mike Stern Dennis Chambers Janek Gwizdala Bob Franceschini - Tipatinas

Live at the Madison Theatre Albany, NY May 2015. This is from my first live show with Dennis on drums, a real honor to get to work with one of my all time favorite drummers and Bob and Dennis are on fire on this cut!"

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:50 am

That doesn't sound like Chambers. It doesn't sound like he's intentionally messing with the others in that final vamp. It just sounds like he is way off. Which is very sad.
treeinrock

Postby treeinrock » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:10 pm

Yep, definitely Chambers. He played the same thing over odd time vamps with John McLaughlin and Joey DeFrancesco when I saw them in the early 90s. I think he is just goofin. He was playing so far around the vamp that I think he was foolin. I don't think he likes to play the quantized way some drummers play over those vamps.
Weckl is a master at playing around all of those kicks and vamps. I think Dennis is a different school in that he trusts his ear and probably didn't work out of the Chaffee polyrythmic concepts that Vinnie and later generations has checked into.

To me, I actually loved what he was doing except it would of been nice for him to come back to earth once and a while and then go out again. He took it out right away and really never came back (Blasted off to outerspace). Holy shit.... Listening to it now ! I really liked it on second listen.

Nice to see Dennis back ! You would not believe how many times I have googled for recent reports on Dennis' health.

Big welcome back to DENNIS !
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:18 am

I think Dennis CAN play/solo over those vamps in all differents modes but he choose that way, the one I don´t like.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:58 am

Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:45 am

^^ Thanks for posting these Paul! This was prior to his illness by a few months if I recall. A couple friends and myself drove up to Nashville to see a clinic he was doing. He was on fire as usual. Chester Thompson was there and let Dennis use his in-ears. He stopped by our table and shook hands and posed for a couple of pictures. Great times.

Return to “Drumming Chat”