Dennis Chambers Thread

beat hit

Dennis Chambers Thread

Postby beat hit » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:37 pm

It had been a while since I searched some good old Dennis Chambers clips.. Came across these below… Once again confirmed why I love Dennis’ playing so much.. Reminded me also as to why Dennis and Gary Grainger were such a great fit for John Scofield’s band… Memories, memories… I then searched for an official DC Thread on HOD where I could append these to.. None to be found.. So there it is… :)

A few meaningful samples (to me anyway)... Such a ferocious rythm section backbone (for lack of a better term ;) )

http://garywillis.com/music/no-sweat
- The Ghost Notes on track "No Sweat" are out of this world... Some seem to come from his left foot... ??
Juan Expósito

Re: Dennis Chambers Thread

Postby Juan Expósito » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:35 am

This is my favourite Dennis mode:

matthughen

Postby matthughen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:34 am

Full show. Highe Quality. P-Funk 1985 Germany.

Brides of Funkenstein 1979 Houston. Dennis is 20 and deeeeeeep!

P-Funk Allstars 1983

The next series is from Don Blackman's self titled 1982 album produced by Dave Grusin (so you know it sounds good) . It's a nasty set of 80's R&B-soul/funk with some unbelievably tasty and refined playing by Dennis. The whole album is an absolute monster. If the 80's R&B is in your wheelhouse this is a necessity. Most songs have been sampled to death.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Deaf Hook-up Connection-

You Aint Hip

Holding You Loving You

Never Miss A Thing
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:39 am

I heard a great story from Dennis about the Brecker Brothers show in Spain.

Mike Stern was the MD for the band and after the set finished, before the encore, Stern decided that what they had played wasn't good enough and consequently they went out and did the show again. All the black and white footage is from the first show, particularly a lot of the close-ups of Dennis' solo. I asked Dennis how they got the footage to match up and Dennis replied 'It's was OK, I remembered what I played in the first set'

I asked him if he remembered exactly what he played note for note and he said 'Yes, pretty much!'

I love Dennis, he's one of my favorites and a completely unique voice.
David Francis

Postby David Francis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:23 am

Dennis is one of the reasons I play the drums. I don't listen to him that much these days but I always enjoyed the John McLaughlin Free Spirits Tokyo Live album. I think I wore out a cassette of Bill Evans' Petite Blonde way back when too.

I LOVED the Don Blackman clips above. Music with tons of character and awesome grooves - the album is not too expensive on iTunes either :) Thanks Matt for the heads up!
Last edited by David Francis on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks for sharing the Don Blackman links!! Absolutely love the grooves!!

Blue Matter was the "eye opener" for me.. Was chasing down a post-Still-Warm John Scofield LP to see what genius-playing Omar was going to come up with next... But discovered DC instead.. was not disappointed with this!!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 am

Yeah "Blue Matter" has been the DC's light for me too, I still listening that music and I think that some songs are still sounding fresh. "So You Yay" for exemple.

I really love DC, he's SO supportive with yound musicians, specialy drummers, I really love the fact that he does not comparing himself to other for appreciate them, it means a lot to me.

Him, VC, Cobham, Tain, and some other, you send them an e-mail about anything, you get an answer in the hours !!!
Human being first.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:13 am

^Nice to hear, Rodge. I always prefer my idols be good people! More DC goodness:

Here is a few rare-ish deep cuts from the P-funk catalog with DC. Somewhere on this video it says Kash Waddy on drums. It is not. It is DC for certain.

Dig the hihat work - classic DC.

another George Clinton Girl group, Parlet:

Lowdon hihat grease - again.
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:51 am

matthughen thanks for the links, awesome.

My first experience hearing Chambers was the double-lp "P-Funk all stars live at the Beverley Theatre" at my friends house. Even my non-drumming friends were paying attention to his drumming..

Wore out the DCI-videos too.. Those were the golden days. :)

I just love that man.

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:08 am

Damn Yussuf, that was GOOD !!!

Enjoy that intro : (be seated around 4:45...)

And here, what a FAT groove by DC, AWESOME !!!
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”