Dennis Chambers Thread

bored at work

Re: Dennis Chambers Thread

Postby bored at work » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:41 am

I met Dennis at the Valley Arts Centre in LA at NAMM 98 He was playing with Niacin. I was working for Premier and there to help out Rod Morganstein who was supporting with Jordan Rudess. I had this Premier hi-tension tuning key that was for HTS drums. Dennis saw the key and asked me to send him one, which I did. I stood behind him for the whole soundcheck and he talked to me and goofed around with me all the way through it. I kept asking him to play me grooves from tracks he'd played on, like 'The Nag', from the first Scofield album. he played everything I asked, he loved it. We went out to buy cigars during the break and he bought me a fat one. Which we smoked after the show. he's a great cat. I'm glad he's well and healthy!
Merrill Conn

Postby Merrill Conn » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:17 pm

bored at work wrote:I met Dennis at the Valley Arts Centre in LA at NAMM 98 He was playing with Niacin. I was working for Premier and there to help out Rod Morganstein who was supporting with Jordan Rudess. I had this Premier hi-tension tuning key that was for HTS drums. Dennis saw the key and asked me to send him one, which I did. I stood behind him for the whole soundcheck and he talked to me and goofed around with me all the way through it. I kept asking him to play me grooves from tracks he'd played on, like 'The Nag', from the first Scofield album. he played everything I asked, he loved it. We went out to buy cigars during the break and he bought me a fat one. Which we smoked after the show. he's a great cat. I'm glad he's well and healthy!

That is a GREAT story!!! Someone once said something about meeting your heroes because you'll be disappointed (or something like that). It's nice to see that it's not always true, as Dennis showed.

Second that on the well-wishes on his recovery. It's nice to see he gained some weight back (not TOO much though). He looks a lot healthier.
When in doubt...roll.
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:56 am

Merrill Conn wrote:
bored at work wrote:I met Dennis at the Valley Arts Centre in LA at NAMM 98 He was playing with Niacin. I was working for Premier and there to help out Rod Morganstein who was supporting with Jordan Rudess. I had this Premier hi-tension tuning key that was for HTS drums. Dennis saw the key and asked me to send him one, which I did. I stood behind him for the whole soundcheck and he talked to me and goofed around with me all the way through it. I kept asking him to play me grooves from tracks he'd played on, like 'The Nag', from the first Scofield album. he played everything I asked, he loved it. We went out to buy cigars during the break and he bought me a fat one. Which we smoked after the show. he's a great cat. I'm glad he's well and healthy!

That is a GREAT story!!! Someone once said something about meeting your heroes because you'll be disappointed (or something like that). It's nice to see that it's not always true, as Dennis showed.

Second that on the well-wishes on his recovery. It's nice to see he gained some weight back (not TOO much though). He looks a lot healthier.

I've met most of my heroes and they've all been pretty cool. I think the trick is not to get to know them too well.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:42 pm

I've met all my heroes, I'm close friend with some of them, I can text them anytime I want, but my only one regret is that, even if I met him once and he was SO COOL, I'd have loved getting to know Jeff deeper, I'm sure I'd be friend with him. ;)
Last edited by Rodge on Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Sam

Postby Sam » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:57 am

Just checking this out for the first time, fantastic stuff :)

Merrill Conn

Postby Merrill Conn » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:47 pm

Words fail!!! Just WOW!!! From 1988...
When in doubt...roll.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:38 pm

Caught this tour second row in Ann Arbor, overwhelming in every way.

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:49 pm

Dennis playing w Oz Noy at the Spud
Friday Night, March 25, 2022
Saturday Night, March 26, 2022
8pm & 10pm PST.
OZ NOY..
DENNIS CHAMBERS..
JIMMY HASLIP..
OZ NOY …GUITAR
DENNIS CHAMBERS …DRUMS
JIMMY HASLIP …BASS
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:08 am

langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:46 am

Didn't realize what he was going through was a freaking liver transplant. Wow.....

Return to “Drumming Chat”