Vinnie to back all artists @ Ken Cen-Monk Drum Competition

Riddim

Re: Vinnie to back all artists @ Ken Cen-Monk Drum Competit

Postby Riddim » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Josiah wrote:Haha sorry, that is pretty funny. Did you ask for your money back?

The GOP is takin it so hard this time around, it's almost painful to watch.

Riddim wrote:Wealthy? His dad was or is in the Army.
They weren't homeless, but they weren't on a first name basis with The Donald either.
They were very supportive of a gifted and talented child, and raised him to have some manners as well.

Yes. Wealthy. Very Wealthy.

Have you verified this, or is this conjecture on your part?
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Josiah wrote:

Yes. Wealthy. Very Wealthy. You would have to be in the "super rich" category to afford private lessons from Dennis Chambers for your 7 year old, let alone for years on end. Go call up any name drummer and ask how much a private lesson would be...

"Supportive" is very different from "being able to afford the absolute best in private instruction"

And without going too deep into it. If every kid had that level of "support" for their instrument, you might find that t . he specific individual standouts no longer are stand out so much on a level playing field....

Do you have any children? Do you know how much Dennis charges for lessons? Do you know how often lessons were taken with him. Dennis is on the road so much, you would not be doing weekly lessons with him. More like monthly or less. What is super rich? If you do not pay a mortgage, and family health insurance, then anyone who does is super rich.

Why don't you call Keith Larson and see if he knows if Dennis is teaching and what he is charging.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:25 pm

jean krupa wrote:"What's Up Jean" you ask? (OK, you asked for it)

Never thought I would say this about an event where Vinnie Colaiuta was the principal drummer.

Waste of Time ! ! ! !

3 great semi-finalists played 2 tunes each with great piano player, Geoff Keezer.
Then it turned political. Justin Brown played a very musical and tight arrangement
of Oleo with Keezer. Great stuff.

Now what happened next, during the almost 3.5 hours, it got ugly.

This is what happens when liberals get together. They had to recognize 'victims' of Jazz,
and the heroes who support and defend those 'victims'

They talked about Women in Jazz. Talked, talked, brought out Jane Ira Bloom, Ingrid Jenson,
and many vocalists, Patti Austin etc etc. Vinnie backed them up. Highlight was up tempo Lady Be Good.
Vinnie played one 4 bar solo.

Then more politics. Speeches from Sponsors---Each one.
Cadillac, Northrup Gruman, United Airlines..

Then, big lib herself, supposedly a drummer, but could not keep time, Tipper Gore, Al's wife.
Then, big tribute to first female Sec of State, Madeleine Albright. She was so lame, that she
was given mallets to plays cymbal swells with Chris Botti, and tymp rolls....Vinnie stood by to
help cymbals rolls.

Then big trib to Aretha Franklin...she brought her own drummer.

Then big jam at end. Peter Erskine played, Terry Lynn Carrington played, Blade played,
Ben Riley got up out of his wheel chair, with help, tried to play, Jimmy Cobb played,
....they all played 4 bars.....waste of my time.
Vinnie nowhere to be seen during all this.

Jean,

C'mon bud? Don't you think "waste of time" is a little harsh? Sorry you didn't get to see "your guy" play more, but how was the music? What did you think of the younger cats?

Anyway ... I was told as a young drummer waay back. "The gigs you get paid the most for, are usually the one you play the least at." NO ONE, I repeat, NO ONE is "above" a nice corporate "phone in" gig, not even Vinnie. (And unfortunately it don't get any more corporate than Washington DC, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion.) Riley told me one time that he flew to Europe once to play ONE NOTE!!!!!

Did you see the Sat Night Live with Jagger? They brought in Beck, Vin, and Tal to play a tune behind Jagger. Shawn Pelton and Genus couldn't have played that tune, no way!!! (deeeeep sarcasm!!!)

Maybe Vin took the gigs for the frequent flyers points (believe it or not, it happens!) Or maybe the dough earned from this will make it easier to do a couple a fusion records (for next to nothing.) Either way, we ALL have bills to pay.

All I know is when "the establishment" offers to pay me (or anyone) big time dough for minimal work, my reply is always, "Shall I wear a tux or a suit, and what time is load in? I see it as "karmatic payback" for all the BS that I (willingly) endure playing music for a living.

This was the Monk Institute Drum Competition at Kennedy Center, not the Potato on a Friday night in 1987, what did you really expect?

And can we PLEASE stop all the speculation about any of the finalists financial background (it REEKS of petty jealousy!)
By the way the finalists names are Justin Brown, Colin Stranahan and Jamison Ross, and they all deserve uber congrats!

MSG
(I wonder if Tipper and Vin had a nice talk about their mutual "friend" Frank Zappa at the after party? HA!)
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:45 am

Jim Richman wrote:Do you have any children? Do you know how much Dennis charges for lessons? Do you know how often lessons were taken with him. Dennis is on the road so much, you would not be doing weekly lessons with him. More like monthly or less. What is super rich? If you do not pay a mortgage, and family health insurance, then anyone who does is super rich.

What does me having or not having children have to do with anything?

We don't know how much Dennis charged. But the rest we do know. They/He was very candid in those MD cover interviews about his then prodigy. You can feel free to go read the interviews yourself. Weekly lessons for years in a nice home studio with multiple kits, etc...

We can safely figure Dennis charged a lot more then "normal" rates right? For any parent being able to afford even $40/week for private lessons is not cheap. That's a luxury.

I also teach at a public high school, I see exactly what the middle (and lower) classes can and can't afford. They don't hold car washes for new instruments just for fun of washing cars.... come on man...

Having a super high end AAA level name drummer come give your kid private lessons is a luxury very few can afford.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:58 am

Josiah wrote:
Jim Richman wrote:Do you have any children? Do you know how much Dennis charges for lessons? Do you know how often lessons were taken with him. Dennis is on the road so much, you would not be doing weekly lessons with him. More like monthly or less. What is super rich? If you do not pay a mortgage, and family health insurance, then anyone who does is super rich.

What does me having or not having children have to do with anything?

We don't know how much Dennis charged. But the rest we do know. They/He was very candid in those MD cover interviews about his then prodigy. You can feel free to go read the interviews yourself. Weekly lessons for years in a nice home studio with multiple kits, etc...

We can safely figure Dennis charged a lot more then "normal" rates right? For any parent being able to afford even $40/week for private lessons is not cheap. That's a luxury.

I also teach at a public high school, I see exactly what the middle (and lower) classes can and can't afford. They don't hold car washes for new instruments just for fun of washing cars.... come on man...

Having a super high end AAA level name drummer come give your kid private lessons is a luxury very few can afford.
So what is super rich?
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:35 am

is the issue here that he's being drawn up as someone who overcame insurmoutable obstacles to become some superb artist? If so, I say, "well played sir". this is the sort of BS that you have to do to 'market' yourself to the public. People like a good story of struggle, it validates the artist's art and strengthens it. sort of. I hate it though. its such bullshit. Every musician sacrifices and comes up from nothing. So what if one guy has to work harder at it, join the club. doesn't change the fact that you still have to work at it.

on that note, so what if someone's had private instruction from a famous drummer, he still had to put in the work. yeah, he was born into opportunity, but that's life.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:06 pm

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Well this is a nasty little thread that I stumbled upon...I sure don't miss Josiah. Jeesh.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:35 pm

Justin.

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:33 pm

The music was great until the drums came in.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”